NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi All,

NAS DS920+ ...had 4 x 6TB WD drives.

Hot swapped Drive 4 with a 16TB Iron Wolf Pro. Volume 1. Shows as healthy and normal, but storage capacity same?

Appreciate your expertise!

nas drive healthy.png

If this is an SHR volume, you must replace at least two drives to see a capacity increase. Add another 16 TB drive.

If this is a RAID 5 volume, you must replace all drives with 16 TB drives.
Thanks.

I'd like to change my RAID 5 configuration to SHR and know I can use an alternative method:

Create a New Storage Pool

An alternative method is to remove the storage pool to create a new one and then select a RAID type of choice.
  1. Back up all your data.
  2. Go to DSM Storage Manager > Storage (for DSM 7.0) or Storage Manager > Storage Pool (for DSM 6.2) and select the storage pool you want to remove.
  3. Click Remove.1
  4. Create a new storage pool. Refer to the help articles for DSM 7.0 or DSM 6.2, respectively.
  5. Restore the backed-up data to the newly created storage pool.

My current DS920+ setup:

Storage Pool 1 = 3 x 6TB drives + 16TB drive (healthy but not showing in storage capacity)

I have 3 more 16TB drives, still in packaging, ready for expansion.

Couple questions:

1. When creating a back up for current storage pool 1 (15TB of data on the 3 x 6TB drives + 16TB drive (healthy but not showing in capacity)), am I backing up all 15TB? (If, yes, unsure how and where to best back up all 15TB.)

2. What's the best way to go about going from RAID 5 to SHR given my situation?

Thanks from your friendly neighbourhood newb!

To go from RAID5 to SHR, you don't need to delete the pool, just the volume.
1. User Hyper Backup. Select the packages and shared folders you wish to restore. The backup size is related to the files backed up.
2. There is no "easy" way. Back up your content off-NAS. Then delete your volume. Create a new SHR volume.

BTW, it's recommended to use btrfs formatting. If you have ext4, then you must delete and create a new btrfs formatted pool. Use Storage Manager for these manipulations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.