New DS1520+ and old disks

NAS
DS218, DS212+,DS212,DS210j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,
I have just purchased a new DS1520+ and want to populate it initially with two disks from my exiting DS212j. However, I do not want to have the data destroyed on either of the two disks. I will be using DSM 7. I plan to initially install a spare disk that I can configure for DSM 7. Can I then insert my two disks from the DS212j without DSM wanting to reformat them?
Thanks,
Harold

Can I then insert my two disks from the DS212j without DSM wanting to reformat them?
You can do that, however you would only want to do so in a temporary context. The reason is, that the system attributes coming from your j series NAS would be carried over to that transferred volume, meaning that you would have no ability to extend that volume beyond 16 TB, nor take advantage of the advanced properties offered by btrfs formatting.

You can do that, however you would only want to do so in a temporary context. The reason is, that the system attributes coming from your j series NAS would be carried over to that transferred volume, meaning that you would have no ability to extend that volume beyond 16 TB, nor take advantage of the advanced properties offered by btrfs formatting.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I then need to copy the contents of my 212j to another disk, scrub the 212j disks and then copy the contents back after reinitializing the 212j disks...correct? Or is there a better way to get the contents off my 212j disks onto the 1520+?

If you had extra drives large enough, you could create storage with them on the DS1520+, create a shared folder within the newly created volume, and then mount it on the 212j and copy over your content. Depending on how much wear is on the drives installed with the 212j, I'd also consider buying new drives for the 1520+

If not, then yes - your process listed above is the way to go. Best advice we can also give, in addition, is to always have an external backup of your data.

Coop777, creating a shared folder like you suggested worked great. Thanks for the suggestion!
Harold

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.