New DS1520+ lots of problems, lots of questions, (wont hibernate, cant upload, hdd knocks)

Currently reading
New DS1520+ lots of problems, lots of questions, (wont hibernate, cant upload, hdd knocks)

NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. macOS
I set up my nas yesterday, it seemed to be ok but then bad stuff started happening.

not sure if it's faulty or what but I'm having some problems. I wanted to use it as a home seedbox mostly.

1. most annoying problem, there is a knocking sound every 3-5 seconds even when HDD is doing nothing at all. even with a clean install and no packages, occaionally the disk light will flicker, the HDD is new 16tb seagate exos. I'll have to move it to another room I suppose if this doesn't stop, if it's head parking or something which some people on reddit say is normal, too annoying, I did a quick smart it says it's healthy.

2. it won't hibernate anymore ever, I set it to 10 minutes, I remember yesterday the green lights were off so it was hibernating periodically, now it's not ever, even with my laptop off and I just turn it on by itself, still the knocking every 3-5 seconds and occasional activity flicker and green lights don't go off.

3. I can't open any ports and upload properly on transmission, which was the main point of getting this nas, although this might be my lack of knowledge but it's very confusing

Should I try through my router interface (which doesn't allow ipv6 as per my isp, but I tried disabling it in dsm and it didn't help), or through the router setup on the dsm (which recognizes my isp router)

should I set a static ip within my dhcp range? I have quick connect and it was assigned a dhcp ip. should I do ddsm?

Should I use docker transmission or the third party community one (the one I tried yesterday unsuccesfully). what's the difference.

When I turned on dmz just to see if it was possible, download station was seeding well uploading fast using but transmission was still barely working on same torrents, terrible speeds, I don't really want dmz on or download station as my main torrent client.

as far as additional information, I upgraded the ram to 20gb crucial which shows up as 20gb in info, and it has 2 500gig ssds cache, DSM 6.2.4-25556.

any help on any issue greatly appreciated.

1. most annoying problem
could be the drives are simply loud

2. it won't hibernate anymore ever
Depending on what apps you have running it will rarely hibernate. Be sure to check Syno KB article on that.

3. I can't open any ports and upload properly on transmission
Open where? Are we talking port forward on the router? Or firewall on the NAS?

Should I try through my router interface (which doesn't allow ipv6 as per my isp, but I tried disabling it in dsm and it didn't help), or through the router setup on the dsm (which recognizes my isp router)
Is this a question or a random chain of thoughts? What are talking about here exactly?

should I set a static ip within my dhcp range?
Static outside dhcp range, but you can reserve it inside the range as well. All in all, static ip.

I have quick connect and it was assigned a dhcp ip. should I do ddsm?
Do you mean DDNS? DDSM is Docker DSM that is depracated.

Should I use docker transmission or the third party community one (the one I tried yesterday unsuccesfully). what's the difference.
Focus on Docker to not have yourself locked into a solution that is clearly very important to you by using a solution via the package center. The problem is that Syno might remove app support for 3rd party elements (already in progress) so best to focus on a supported and maintained Docker solution.

When I turned on dmz just to see if it was possible, download station was seeding well uploading fast using but transmission was still barely working on same torrents, terrible speeds, I don't really want dmz on or download station as my main torrent client.
Not really sure what to tell you on this one. Still not 100% sure what the end game is here.

as far as additional information, I upgraded the ram to 20gb crucial which shows up as 20gb in info, and it has 2 500gig ssds cache, DSM 6.2.4-25556.
I guess, welcome to the forum is in order. Nice machine. Hope you get everything running.

Upvote 0
I'm slowly figuring out things, I was a bit pissed/panicked when everything wasn't working with my shiny new machine so I guess my post was largely incoherent. I expected it to be easier to use out the box but you have to put in some work figuring things out.

Going to have to learn to work with docker and different torrent clients and things should be ok (watch a lot of youtube videos for dumb dumb because it seems very complex).

It does hibernate if I absolutely turn every app off and log out

I port forwarded from my router and transmission said open on the nas

It still does knock when idle annoyingly, probably the brand of hdd, lots of similar posts on reddit, some hdds knock some don't, but if it's going to be a seedbox it's going to be constantly making noise anyway so I'll just move it to another room.

thanks for reading my blather and welcoming me to the forum, hope to use it some more as I learn to use the nas.

Upvote 0
I'm slowly figuring out things, I was a bit pissed/panicked when everything wasn't working with my shiny new machine so I guess my post was largely incoherent. I expected it to be easier to use out the box but you have to put in some work figuring things out.
Yeah, no. Setting up a NAS will not be a turn-key solution for the most part. Some apps/services will be straightforward sure, but in most cases, you will have to "learn" how things work before you can configure them and use them.

Open topics (or search for similar ones) here and you will get help for sure.

Going to have to learn to work with docker and different torrent clients and things should be ok (watch a lot of youtube videos for dumb dumb because it seems very complex).
It might seem complex, but you just have to invest some time to get some containers off the ground, afterwards it's mostly repeated operations. Again, ask if needed.

I port forwarded from my router and transmission said open on the nas
Guessing the firewall then on the NAS side.

Upvote 0
As a DS1520+ owner too...

1. most annoying problem, there is a knocking sound every 3-5 seconds even when HDD is doing nothing at all. even with a clean install and no packages, occaionally the disk light will flicker, the HDD is new 16tb seagate exos. I'll have to move it to another room I suppose if this doesn't stop, if it's head parking or something which some people on reddit say is normal, too annoying, I did a quick smart it says it's healthy.
Seems noisier than the DS218+ but that could be mostly due to using Ironwolf 8TB drives vs WD Red 4TB: bigger dives tend to be noisier. But the chassis looks to be airier and easier for noise egress, e.g. more gaps at the front and two fan openings. It does sound more metallic than pure whirr/clack of platters and heads. You can try and isolate the unit from the surface it's sitting on: a wooden shelf makes a great amplifying board.

Can't say if you'll have to move it as you don't say where it is right now? next to TV; bedroom; under you pillow... yep I wouldn't have it there. Mine's in a study/office with the other NAS and network stuff.

You are better off manually configuring your router's perimeter security policy rather than let a vendor or johny-hacker decide what firewall rules are best for you. Disable your router's UPnP feature for allow devices to open ports.

I was a bit pissed/panicked when everything wasn't working
Best not do it drunk.

Upvote 0
I set up my nas yesterday, it seemed to be ok but then bad stuff started happening.

not sure if it's faulty or what but I'm having some problems. I wanted to use it as a home seedbox mostly.

any help on any issue greatly appreciated.
I had a setup with only 2 4tb iron wolf drives and couldn't hear a thing. Just installed 2 16tb drives and I can hear the heads seeking.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.