New DS920+ want upgrade memory non synology recommendations

Currently reading
New DS920+ want upgrade memory non synology recommendations

NAS
Synology DS 920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi, I just returned my 1st NAS ever 220+, it worked fine, however soon realized that it wouldn't accommodate future expansion plans, so I exchanged for the 920+, knowing that it too has limitations, however as a starter NAS it is way more than I can use presently, future 2-3 years might require an upgrade to newer version 4bay with 2.5 or 5.0 GHz ethernet.

OK, memory upgrade. Yes, I am aware that using non-Synology memory is a warranty issue. However, paying double+ for a name change sticker is reason enough to risk using compatible more cost-friendly memory.

In addition, I have seen the video on using more than 8 gigs total memory for the DS920+ and that it suppose to work, however, is another warranty issue.

I saw this mentioned in one review "Go with an 8GB stick of Samsung for compatibility and a lower cost. Get the M471A1K43CB1-CTD. Works great on my DS220+ and my DS720+".
(8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory Module - Memory Modules (8GB, 1 x 8GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz, 260-Pin SO-DIMM, Black, Green) Non-ECC)
If possible can someone confirm if Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD memory will work with DS920+ here are full specs.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

About two weeks ago I had to replace my dead DS918+, so I bought a new 920+ and was also looking into the issue of memory upgrade. After a lot of online research, I finally bought a 8 GB PHS memory module. The brand has OK ratings, they provide test results, and they guarantee 100% compatibility with money-back warranty, see here. My 920+ is working just fine with the extra memory (12 GB in total) and, yes, it is actually using the extra memory if pushed to do so. In case you wonder: I have no affiliation with PHS whatsoever other than having recently bought this memory module.

The brand has OK ratings
Realistically, brands don't matter.
  • Only three companies make RAM chips: Hynix, Micron, and Samsung.
  • Anyone can solder them to the circuit board, as that is all done by pick and place machines, supplied by small group of vendors.
  • The memory controller is part of SoC, therefore there cannot be anything Synology specific.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.