Currently reading
New some OpenVPN help

NAS
DS-718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I followed Rusty's (Synoman's?) excellent tutorial on setting up OpenVPN on several laptops in the household. While I haven't tested them outside the network, everything appears to work.

One question that I have is how to update OpenVPN client, since that doesn't seem to appear in settings.

My daughter came home from college and I went about installing OpenVPN client on her laptop and setting it up. The interface is completely different from the version I previously installed. I followed through the entire install and appear to be able to connect. However, while OpenVPN shows as connected, there doesn't appear to be any clear link back to the NAS. How can I be sure my daughter will be able to reach back to our NAS once she gets back to school?

As always, thanks for any insight.

CheapDad

How can I be sure my daughter will be able to reach back to our NAS once she gets back to school?

Put your cellphone into Wi-Fi hotspot , if available. Make sure to disconnect the phone from Wi-Fi, and use cell network. Connect the laptop to the cellphone hotspot to test vpn

Put your cellphone into Wi-Fi hotspot , if available. Make sure to disconnect the phone from Wi-Fi, and use cell network. Connect the laptop to the cellphone hotspot to test vpn
I think I’m going to head to Starbucks tomorrow to do just that.
-- post merged: --

Are you using this installer (64-bit Windows)?
OpenVPN-2.5.1-I601-amd64.msi

Did you import the OPVN file from the NAS?
I believe that’s it and I did import the edited opvn file.

I haven't made it over to Starbucks but I think i understand where the difference has occurred. On my wife's laptop, I installed v.3.2.2. On my daughter's Surface, I installed v.3.2.3. I wonder if that makes a difference. Both are running Win10. The v.3.2.2 interface looks like this:

1615731392841.png

The screenshots on the OpenVPN website look the same, but that's not the screen I get on the Surface.

My apologies for the late update, but RL has gotten in the way. My daughter attempted to access the NAS from school and was successful. So, while it may not be intuitive, the Surface installation of OpenVPN did work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.