New state-of-the-art in global video coding: H.266/VVC brings video transmission to new speeds

Currently reading
New state-of-the-art in global video coding: H.266/VVC brings video transmission to new speeds

NAS
Synology, TrueNAS
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
After devoting several years to its research and standardization, Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners from industry including Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony) is celebrating the release and official adoption of the new global video coding standard H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC). This new standard offers improved compression, which reduces data requirements by around 50% of the bit rate relative to the previous standard H.265/High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) without compromising visual quality. In other words, H.266/VVC offers faster video transmission for equal perceptual quality. Overall, H.266/VVC provides efficient transmission and storage of all video resolutions from SD to HD up to 4K and 8K, while supporting high dynamic range video and omnidirectional 360° video.

more you can find here:

Greetings
is there any chance that the DS220+ will support VVC (h.266) or just wait for the new model?
VVC is very important, because the NAS will be in the role of HTPC

Greetings
is there any chance that the DS220+ will support VVC (h.266) or just wait for the new model?
VVC is very important, because the NAS will be in the role of HTPC
I wouldn't count on it. The upcoming DS423 and DS223 are still unknown on the matter of CPU, but I have it on good authority those will be AMD ryzen as well (with no 266 support).

Synology is not known for keeping up with the latest and greatest in their products, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I wouldn't count on it. The upcoming DS423 and DS223 are still unknown on the matter of CPU, but I have it on good authority those will be AMD ryzen as well (with no 266 support).

Synology is not known for keeping up with the latest and greatest in their products, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
And at the program level, VVC support is impossible to do? My intel 3770k processor came out in 2012, and the HEVC standard in 2013 opens without problems through VLC and Media Player Classic.

And at the program level, VVC support is impossible to do? My intel 3770k processor came out in 2012, and the HEVC standard in 2013 opens without problems through VLC and Media Player Classic.
Well AMD r1000 series supports H.265, not 266, so that's that.

Yeeee, just something we needed (NOT), another video codec "standard", AV1 was also added recently now H266, Synology will support that somewhere around year 2035 with their pace of updating Syno hardware where 2022 models still have 5-6 old CPUs :)...

Well AMD r1000 series supports H.265, not 266, so that's that.
I'm talking about the fact that the 2012 processor came out before the release of the HEVC codec, i.e. there can be no hardware support, but the video opens without problems through programs

How much of the total CPU power does playing H.265 take of your Intel Core i7-3770k? When you get down to it all that is happening is reading a file of data and processing it so that the contained video will play, how this is achieved in the hardware depends on what’s available: specific encode/decode capabilities in the hardware design; general purpose computing by the CPU.

If you have enough oomph in the CPU to do what you want, in the timeframe you need it, then you don’t particularly need dedicated capabilities. The lower power CPUs have specific hardware capabilities that can address known high load and time consuming tasks and optimise their handling.

Last edited:
I spent a week trying to determine why H264+ had terrible motion detection capabilities before finally determining for certain that H264+ HAD TERRIBLE motion Detection Capabilities!
This kinda reminds me of video editing in the late 1980’s early 1990’s where every 3rd or 4th video you’d attempt to play needed a 2-3 hour search to get the (correct) version codec, all the while each company insisted their direction was right, and other’s were basically un-necessary!

I’m not against forward motion, but I am against companies taking the attitude that they, alone, can do video, and then release 3 or 4 codecs that don’t auto update-until they get it right.

If you want to have people use your video, release a fully operational preferably bi directional codec that works-the first time!

This kinda reminds me of video editing in the late 1980’s early 1990’s where every 3rd or 4th video you’d attempt to play needed a 2-3 hour search to get the (correct) version codec, all the while each company insisted their direction was right, and other’s were basically un-necessary!

Video codecs in the late 80s? Were you time travelling?!

Last edited:
No…. I Lived it! I’m frigging OLD!

And have the “ I Survived! “ Tee Shirt!!🤗 From multiple places to prove it!

Also did experimental HD Analog Video, & HD Parallel Digital Video, too (Where you hand selected parts and added -subtracted clock delay to maximize cable runs: Good for a whopping 15’ maximum distance!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back