NAS Compares New Synology DS120j 1-Bay Server Revealed for 2019/2020

Currently reading
NAS Compares New Synology DS120j 1-Bay Server Revealed for 2019/2020

The DS120J Super-Budget NAS from Synology is Revealed

Good news for those looking to make their first steps into the world of NAS storage with Synology having revealed the new DS120j NAS Drive, a 1-Bay server that supports the very latest and largest Hard Drives (such as the Seagate Ironwolf 14/16TB Ironwolf NAS drives) and at a price point that promises to be not just affordable, but that enables even the most wallet-shy of people to enter the world of network-attached storage. Featuring a streamlined version of DSM (but only in a business application sense), the DS120j NAS from Synology is the follow up to the Q3 2018 DS119j and though remarkably similar, it does have one of two extra little treats under the hood. Of all the NAS drives being revealed in their launch events across the world this month, this is the one I had the very least information about, so I am making efforts to highlight this (TBC – to be confirmed, obviously). So, let’s see what this new budget NAS has in store for home users looking for their first, entry-level Synology NAS.

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Synology should withdraw the one-drive "J" series. These units barely qualify being called a NAS. Earlier this week, Synology acknowledged that the "j" series is basically for file storage and cannot support demanding packages such as Moments.

Unfortunately, the unsuspecting newbie ponys up for a new, but inexpensive "NAS" thinking that they are limited primarily by disk capacity and zero-disk protection. Soon after they begin posting numerous performance-related issues they find.

Selling the "j" series as a NAS borders on deceit in my opinion. Newbies would be better off with a basic WD Elements unit with nearly the same capability. Simply tragic and reprehensible.

Still if you open up and model on their web site and check the specs you can see what they support and what they don’t.
Not so much. The hardware specs are there, but so are all packages including Moments (under add-ons). If Moments won't run on the j-series, it shouldn't appear as an installable package. This misrepresents the unit's capability. They are selling a simple rowboat to folks expecting to cross the Atlantic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.