NAS Compares New Synology DS1522+ NAS Coming in 2022

Currently reading
NAS Compares New Synology DS1522+ NAS Coming in 2022

New Synology DS1522+ NAS Drive Revealed​

Good news for anyone who has been sitting comfortably (or uncomfortably, depending on your storage needs of course) waiting on news of Synology NAS solutions for 2022, with the reveal of a new 5-Bay solution from the brand – the Synology DS1522+ NAS Drive. Now, serving as the likely refresh to the almost two years old DS1520+ (a HUGELY overlooked NAS in my opinion) this new desktop NAS changes ALOT of things that we assumed that a product in the 5-Bay product series from Synology would serve up in a new release. Big, BIG changes in the CPU, max memory quantity and quality, upgradeability and more are featured here. So much so in fact that these changes will arguably result in a big change in how this system is classed in the Synology portfolio. Big words, I know. Bit lets breakdown all the information we know about this new DS1522+ NAS drive and why I think this system could indicate a big upheaval in how the brand scales it’s diskstation (and indeed rackstation) series.

Synology-DS1522-NAS-Drive-Front-22.png

Continue reading...
- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

Again, Synology disappoints and underwhelms...
  • Ryzen chip (Where is Intel?)
  • No onboard graphic chip
  • 1 GbE networking
  • Provision for proprietary 10 GbE module
And who knows what memory and storage media restrictions are bound to this hardware.

The more things change, the more they stay the same 🙄

I'm more happy with my DS1520+. I had a peak at how much the extended warranty* would cost to take it to Oct 2025. Maybe £76 would be worth it to ensure not having to think what to do it if failed.

* as per the recent email.
View attachment 9591
I would take it. Worth the investment on a young model such as yours

Again, Synology disappoints and underwhelms...
  • Ryzen chip (Where is Intel?)
  • No onboard graphic chip
  • 1 GbE networking
  • Provision for proprietary 10 GbE module
And who knows what memory and storage media restrictions are bound to this hardware.

The more things change, the more they stay the same 🙄
I'm very pleased they went with a AMD Ryzen CPU which will finally seriously make me consider Synology as a valid proposition for a home NAS for a very simple and critical factor: ECC RAM support (if you value your data, backup or not, that choice of CPU is a no brainer).

Way to go Synology, thank you!
I agree with the rest of yours statement but at least they got the basics right this time.

The Intel vs AMD ‘issue’ is, for me at least, simple: what’s better at real time transcoding while not bogging down other services. The Intel chip has onboard GPU that can be used for this. But if/when there’s enough guaranteed ooomph for this in software then It becomes a non-issue.

The 10GbE option we’ll have to wait to see about this.

And I opted to get the extended warranty (£77.77 inc vat) on the DS1520+

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.