New Synology or upgrade old one?

NAS
DS415+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello, I have a DS415+ with 12Tb using since 2016, very happy with basic stuff. Right now I am running out of space still have more than 20% but I was wondering if would be better to upgrade the NAS HD for bigger, or maybe buy a new Synology NAS and install the new HD?
My NAS is still OK operationally, but is only 4 bays, and if I buy four new HD I will end up with the old ones in a box.
What should I do? is there a way to add another device to have more HDs? or need to be a new one?
So many questions sorry,
Any advise is more than appreciated.
cheers

A DS415+ cannot be expanded with an expansion bay.
Purchase of a new NAS should be considered on what you want to gain. If it's only storage you want to gain, I think it's cheaper to gracefully replace your HDD's by bigger once. If you use SHR, then you could also potentially only replace 2 HDD's instead of 4 to already gain some more storage space. Read more about it in this article: DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc. .

Isn't the DS415+ one of the Synology NAS that use Intel's Atom C2000 CPU? I.e. the one that has the tendency to died suddenly unless the motherboard has the resistor fix?

See a lot of these types of posts...

Plenty of posts that show how to do the fix (if you can wield a soldering iron) for a few pence. Do this before it fails and you could be getting a longer life from the unit. Otherwise a newer NAS, such as the DS1520+ (which is what I'm now leaning towards) and that'll give you one more drive bay, and then you can look to upgrade the disks.

Isn't the DS415+ one of the Synology NAS that use Intel's Atom C2000 CPU? I.e. the one that has the tendency to died suddenly unless the motherboard has the resistor fix?

See a lot of these types of posts...

Plenty of posts that show how to do the fix (if you can wield a soldering iron) for a few pence. Do this before it fails and you could be getting a longer life from the unit. Otherwise a newer NAS, such as the DS1520+ (which is what I'm now leaning towards) and that'll give you one more drive bay, and then you can look to upgrade the disks.
Never had problem like this

Never had problem like this
That’s how many of the posts start... “all of a sudden the NAS” or page 10 of a thread “this just happened to me”.

It’s something to be aware of that has happened to unmodded C2000 DSM NAS, not just the DS415+.

I have 2ea DS415+ set up as a 12TB high availability cluster and I recently figured out I had no backup for the cluster in case of a natural disaster. So I'm looking for a new unit to use as a backup in my storm shelter. I'm thinking to buy a new DS1520+ with fewer drives for my cluster backup. My thinking is that If I need more space in the future, I could get a match for my larger unit, add drives, and break the cluster on the 415s. I could use them for individual 12TB backups to my new, larger cluster volumes.

Can anyone point me to the resistor fix? I already had one motherboard fail but thanks be, it was in warranty.

Found the online pictures and directions. Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.