blackvoid New Synology x20+ NAS models are coming

Currently reading
blackvoid New Synology x20+ NAS models are coming

New Synology x20+ NAS models are coming

Well if we are to believe the documentation on Synology web site looks like we will be getting more then a few new + models soon.

The four new models will be divided into two two bay and two four bay models.

So DS220+, DS720+ will be an upgrade to the existing two bay devices DS218+ as well as DS718+ and on the other side of the spectrum we have DS420+ and DS920+, upgrades to the current DS918+.

Continue reading...

Sorry, but obviously nothing that would appeal me. The data sheets tells nothing new, advertising only software features, that are already available to former models, too, or will find its way into DSM 7 which will be released somewhere next year.

And as usual with Synology, upgaraded hardware is almost not existent. So instead of releasing hardware they should preliminary focus on DSM 7.

If these are the true specs of these future devices then it's interesting (for me) that the DS220+ would be losing one USB3 port and the eSata port but gaining a second ethernet interface.

The DS218+, via its eSata port, supported the DX517 expansion unit but I guess virtually no-one did this and a few (like me) attached an eSata external drive.

I think the loss of the second USB3 port on the back will be more of an issue: UPS plus backup drive would need two ports.

@ thx Rusty for such intro

@Micky when you deeply uncover information from @Rusty you will see, that Synology:
- will use again desktop CPU Celeron "J" series - what is enough for such small beast up to 5bay NAS
- yes limitation of max. 8GB RAM must be problem, when someone would like run extended virtualized environments
- more important is limitation of PCIe in this CPU - just for ver. 2.0 and max. 1x4 configuration. It's really step down for NAS environment, specially when you need use SSD chache expansion for better performance. This is for my future upgrade a show stopper.

There is still hidden information about next gen Atom based CPUs from Server "P" series in next Syno NAS generation, what have 8-24 cores, 9-27MB L2 chache and support for DDR4 64-128GB RAM with 2933MHz, PCIe with ver. 3.0 and 1x16 for the 3.0 +1x16 for the 2.08.
It will be really nice upgrade candidate for Syno NAS 8bay models. Must say really better performance for NAS than Celeron. Don't compare Atom desktop with Atom Server series! It's different world.

Personally I see no major change here. Just a "yearly" refresh that was expected. The fact that they pushed cache slots to more devices, shows that their plan for cache refactoring in DSM7 has got something going. How well will it work, we will see. Apollo Lake problem obviously pushed them to Gemini Lake arch, but was that a good move, probably yes, but again, we will have to wait and see.

Overall I'm glad that new models are coming out but was hoping for 10G in 920 model (at least as an option), but I guess there was no room. At least to test it apart from the test of the + models or to be a bit more desirable. What I wonder is the transcode options in comparison to 918.

Atom P-series has direct support of 10G+ (up to 100G) based on Intel 800 Ethernet series (integrated), but the mentioned Celeron doesn't, even with the PCIe v 2.0 in the Celeron it will be hard achievable target

Atom P-series has direct support of 10G+ (up to 100G) based on Intel 800 Ethernet series (integrated), but the mentioned Celeron doesn't, even with the PCIe v 2.0 in the Celeron it will be hard achievable target
I know that's what I was hoping for, but I guess these 4bay units are still not "there" in Syno eyes.

Perhaps they wait for more price affordable consumer grade switches to arrive in quantity so they can gauge demand. IMHO, Synology will keep the 1G Ethernet as long as it keeps STB (set top box) class of motherboard hardware. As mentioned in previous posts, only fair upgrade of PCIe gen and lanes number enable integration of faster Ethernet standard. Personally, I would expect to be gradual (either 2.5G or 5G) before reaching 10G. Also, from 5G and 10G Ethernet I would expect some more heat dissipation to show up, too.

would expect to be gradual (either 2.5G or 5G) before reaching 10G. Also, from 5G and 10G Ethernet I would expect some more heat dissipation to show up, too.

I am not sure if 2.5GBase-T or 5GBase-T will ever be a thing, as you still need a multi-gig switch. You can buy solid 10GBit switches for a reasonable price. I just bought the passiv cooled Microtik 4x10Gbit managed switch for reasonable 130+€, while the 8 Port switch can be bought arround 240+€. Both have an additional 1gbit uplink port. As long as fibre or dac connections are used, the temperatures are surprisingly low. Things start to get uggly heated and expensive when 10GBase-T (RJ45) SFP+ transceivers are added to the mix... and not all 10GBase-T transceivers support 2.5GBase-T or 5GBase-T.

Despite the supposed 8GB RAM limit like the DS918+, I'm glad they went DDR4, as I have a pair of 32GB DDR4 SODIMMS just ready to test with... :D

Curious to see what the real-world performance is like on the DS920+, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement in VM operations - and everything else runs just fine on the DS918+ that I have.

Despite the supposed 8GB RAM limit like the DS918+, I'm glad they went DDR4, as I have a pair of 32GB DDR4 SODIMMS just ready to test with... :D

Curious to see what the real-world performance is like on the DS920+, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement in VM operations - and everything else runs just fine on the DS918+ that I have.
no new horses there

@cezwho : the only major update would be possibility for 10gbe. But or just home use you aren't missing out in IMHO.

920+ is sticking with 1GbE. Synology Taiwan already posted the specs on their site.

Only the CPU and memory are the real updates but for my usage, it isn't a big deal.

Expected prices... these are AUD ($) not US so keep that in mind.

Interesting that the 420 vs 920 is only 60$. Why would anyone then want to get 420 is beyond me. Still not sure why they went with 4bay DualCore enclosure when you have 920 or hell, even 918 still that is much better for such a small price difference.

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 12.41.14.png

E10M20 card at a fair price as well.

I caved in and ordered a 1019+ :)

I figured if I order a 918+, the minute I receive the box and unpack it, Synology will update their home page stating WORLDWIDE availability of the 920+. So I thought I’m going to stick it to them and ordered the 1019+ to deprive them of that opportunity. Pretty smart, eh? 🤣

(CFO doesn’t think so and disagrees wholeheartedly. Now we need a way to sneak in a 2600. A Trojan horse for a router 🤣)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.