New to nas: Is one Synology NAS able to handle movies/pictures, computer backups, print server, and surveillance?

Currently reading
New to nas: Is one Synology NAS able to handle movies/pictures, computer backups, print server, and surveillance?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm looking at Synology since I do not want to do too much setup and customisation on my own. Here's what I would like the NAS to do:
- store movies/pictures and access via local and over internet
- backup mac (time machine) and pc computers
- print server
- surveillance - record a week or so for a few cameras then delete (I'm not sure how surveillance video management typically works). As well as motion detection, pref with human recognition, sent to mobile

The questions.....
- Can I/should I accomplish all of these with a single nas?
- Could I do it with the DS1019+?

Thanks!

surveillance - record a week or so for a few cameras then delete (I'm not sure how surveillance video management typically works). As well as motion detection, pref with human recognition, sent to mobile
With Surveillance Station (SS), you can specify size (space consumed) and/or retention in days and SS will start overwriting the oldest.

Face detection is a function of the camera (it communicates the trigger to SS).
Check YouTube for examples. I’ve never tried it.

Would it be wise to run surveillance apps and data on a storage pool with "surveillance-rated" hard drives (e.g. WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk) - then use "NAS/Enterprise-rated" hard drives for everything else?

Would it be wise to run surveillance apps and data on a storage pool with "surveillance-rated" hard drives (e.g. WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk) - then use "NAS/Enterprise-rated" hard drives for everything else?
absolutely yes and again yes. Tiered data store is a way to achieve clean data architecture/operation, performance, endurance and better lifespan

Hi Jeyare,

Is the only drawback in using a mix of (for example) 2 purples and 3 reds to achieve tiered storage that you would lose the capacity of two drives for 1-disk redundancy, instead of one?

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
From what I’ve read so far, some say it’s not worth it for a few cameras and that it won’t make a difference if you’re running SS on surveillance rated NAS drives (e.g. WD Purple). But if you’re starting fresh and don’t mind the slightly higher cost, why not.

Synology recommends ext4 for SS. So surveillance on ext4, the rest on Btrfs (if it’s supported).

I run 4 cameras, my intention when I shuffle my setup later is to use a single regular red drive for surveillance in ext4. I don’t need redundancy for it. Your situation might be different.

Edit: rephrased for clarity.

for store movies and pictures you need basic HDD, because every single HDD (also the low cost level) will provide sufficient performance for such services.
When you need keep your valuable pictures available in case of the HDD damage you can:
1. use an external disk connected to your NAS for an additional backup
2. use cloud backup service, managed by the NAS itself
Also you can purchase NAS drives “certified” when you like achieve better lifespan.
For more comfortable solution is RAID operation advisable (for the photos or home videos). I’m not a fried of waste a costly disk drive space for internet anytime available movie sources. But it’s up to each of you.

For the backup purposes. It’s again up to you. Good backup plan is evaluated in case of every damage, when data restore is needed. For backup you need different disk drives than for photos or internet movies. You need fast (backup write), endurance (for NAS or server environment) and long lifespan (no SSD). In such case is RAID really advisable. Again you can use additional backup (ext. disk drive or cloud).

For surveillance purposes (more than 5 cameras) you need (up to your records setup) you need independent store, different from your backup or media. Reason, surveillance is heavy data eating service with 24/7 workload. Then when you don’t need affect your daily operation by such service, you need to use independent store pool.

Final answer for your question - Can I/should I accomplish all of these with a single nas?
YES

Next question - Could I do it with the DS1019+?
YES

Reason why I like 8-bay NASes:
1. damage in one disk group doesn’t affect operation in another group (useful for data availability)
2. then you can prepare precise data tiers (mentioned above)
3. two spare disk drives for better sleeping when I’m out of my rack (automated RAID rebuild)
Then I use RAID1 only in each disk group, (faster than RAID5/6), because sufficient backup policy (3-2-1) for all of them.

For the disk drive advice you can use , this part of forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.