New to Synology. DSM6 or DSM7?

NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Greetings all. :)

Just received my 1st Synology; a DS1520+. Conflicted about which version of DSM I must install? 6 or 7? Input will be much appreciated.

Cheerz
Davoodoo

I agree with what was said but keep in mind as well that DSM7 is also not polished for some 3rd party apps and services as much as it looks done and ready for the most part.

Official rollout is soon for the non XS/XS+/FS models but maybe waiting for a few months more wouldn’t hurt for sure, especially if this is your only NAS.

Unless you're going to be living in the DSM web portal then you won't really notice too much as all the other interfaces will be the same. Of course I'll move to DSM 7 when it's ready but for now it's DSM 6.

If you really want a taste of DSM 7 on your new DS1520+ then you can install virtual DSM 7 RC in Virtual Machine Manager ... for which you get one free vDSM licence.

Oh yeah, photo management ... DSM 6 has the choice of Photo Station and Moments, but these are replaced in DSM 7 by Synology Photos. So there'll be work to change that. That's probably one of the biggies to consider.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.