User introduction New to the forum

Currently reading
User introduction New to the forum

Greetings Synology Users!

I am the proud owner of a DS920+ and a DX517 expansion unit thanks to Prime day sales.
Looking forward to learning as much as possible about the best practices and SW.

DS920.jpgDX517.jpg

Whisky - what drives did you choose for storage?
I'm glad you asked! Prime day helped me get WD Red Plus 10TB drives from Amazon and New Egg.
While I did go over budget, the savings helped soothe the pain. Buy once cry once right?

I have 5 drives configured in a SHR configuration with 4 in the 920+ and the fifth in the DX517. On my gigabit network, I'm able to copy video files to the NAS over 100MB/sec which is awesome performance compared to the 916 I was evaluating a couple of years ago. I don't know how the forum experts feel about storage volumes spanning the expansion boundary, I tried to research it. Seems to be performing ok.

I don't know how the forum experts feel about storage volumes spanning the expansion boundary, I tried to research it. Seems to be performing ok.
I'm risk averse, usually, so without any experience of spanning the array across two devices* (two PSU, two logic boards, two etc.) I don't think I'd do it myself. That's not to say it's not supported and valid.

*have only just had the business case approved for the DS1520+ and 8TB disks so I'm not feeling brave enough to pitch for anything else just yet. Not doubt we need food and other luxuries :)

I was supposed to get a new lawnmower but when I saw the savings on my dream NAS, I decided I can figure out how to repair the self propelled drive or live with pushing it. The front lawn has a steep hill which makes mowing a little treacherous. At least my data and media files are safe...

Whisky - Amazon had those 10 TB drives very briefly listed for $189 during the Prime event but that didn't last very long - what price did you get them at?
188.99 each. New Egg matched that price as well.
I quit looking at deals after I bought them. Couldn't afford anymore "savings"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.