Currently reading
New tv (video station or plex) advice please

NAS
Ds413j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi there, presently I have a ds413j with 4x 4tb wd red in shr, hard wired (cat 4) to an old Samsung TV. I primarily store 1080p films and stream them to the TV by manually scrolling through folders, or sometimes using dsvideo app on my phone (hit and miss whether it works or not). The Samsung is too old for the dsvideo app, or YouTube app, or playing x265. Time for a replacement. I've not used plex but it seems to be available for most tvs (£1000 mark), whereas dsvideo is only available for Samsung tvs. I'm basically wondering what set up people have success with, as I'd like a nicer gui, perhaps a search function etc and my choice of tv will depend on which way I go...
Also, is my ds413j good enough for running plex? Along these same lines, will there be a picture quality improvement by having a better (faster) nas streaming to the tv, or is that just down to source material? I took a memory stick with a 1080p film to test the samsung q80, and wasn't particularly impressed with the picture quality. Is that due to the £10 memory stick, or what I'm likely to get from the nas?
Apologies for the long thread, too many questions...

I use Plex... primarily through Roku (Video Station is unavailable through Roku).
Also, is my ds413j good enough for running plex?
For several years I ran Plex on a 213j serving 720p/1080p video without an issue. But I was choosy with my audio codecs to minimize transcoding needs, as the j-series are the Yugo-powered NAS line, and its CPU is easily swamped. One stream support was the limit on my unit.

Plex on any of my x18+ models running with plex client on Q60 Samsung is a dream. Zero problems.
Thanks rusty, I'm looking at the 2019 q80, what size files to you stream to your q60? Most of mine are 1080p about 2gb size in x264 mp4. Was worried about the set being "too good", or the files being too small, as when I tried it from a USB stick, the picture quality didn't particularly impress. Did you try the dsvideo app or just straight to plex? The ds13j has been great, but nothing lasts forever, and I have half an eye on a ds920+, and convert the ds13j to a back up.

Thanks rusty, I'm looking at the 2019 q80, what size files to you stream to your q60? Most of mine are 1080p about 2gb size in x264 mp4. Was worried about the set being "too good", or the files being too small, as when I tried it from a USB stick, the picture quality didn't particularly impress. Did you try the dsvideo app or just straight to plex? The ds13j has been great, but nothing lasts forever, and I have half an eye on a ds920+, and convert the ds13j to a back up.
I have them from 100Mbit in size to about 10-20Mbit depending on the content. 4K in 7.1 all the way to 720p. Everything plays great, I have no problems to report. Most streams are direct play/stream and some users utilize remote playback that is in most cases transcoded, again with no problems regarding stress on the NAS themselves.

I personally do not use DSVideo considering its a poor rip off from Plex. As @WST16 suggested, you might try Emby as well if Plex is not your cup of tea but all in all I have been using Plex since 2009 and have had no problems at all (running on wide range of plex clients).

if you don't need external streaming, KODI is another solid product. I've been running for years. For 1080p - you could run it on a Firestick, Roku, or an Nvidia Shield....

So I pulled the trigger on the Samsung q85, only to find that plex is no longer supported by the ds413j. Looks like video station it is until I can upgrade to a newer 4 bay nas that supports plex. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
920+

that plex is no longer supported by the ds413j
According to this, x13 models should be covered with ARM7 version of Plex. Keep in mind that transcoding is not gonna work, but direct play should work just fine.

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 23.53.13.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.