New UPS - recommendations appreciated (UK)

Currently reading
New UPS - recommendations appreciated (UK)

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My current UPS is an APC Smart-UPS 750 which I got hold of when the company I worked at went into liquidation. It is about 6 years old (I think) and according to its system the battery is due to hit end of life in November.
Last week while on holiday we suffered a power outage of just over an hour and the UPS failed in its job and the NAS lost power. This was approximately 5 minutes after the outage started. So it looks like the issue with the battery is here already.
The devices plugged into the UPS are; the NAS, Orbi Router, Apple Mac Mini, Draytek Modem.
I'm therefore looking for recommendations for a new UPS to replace it, hopefully, something that won't cost the earth. It must be quiet in operation though as it'll sit under my desk.
Thoughts appreciated guys.

Understood, but looking at the prices of Eaton they are way too high for me to afford.
I know and I think I said the exact same thing when I started my UPS journey. Looking back it would have been a lot cheaper if I hadn't tried to save money. Given the energy stored in these devices it can come as a bit of a shock when things go wrong in a device designed to achieve a cheap consumer price.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I'm now having doubts about the as Marius over at Marius Hosting says he's had a lot of problems with his Cyperpower device and that customer service don't respond.

@Acetone how have you found yours?
I've had zero issues with mine in the 6+ months since I got it, I've checked if it works as I expected a couple of times by just turning the power off and it was perfect every time. It now just sits in the cupboard with the NAS, doing it's job and I leave it alone.

When looking at reviews about stuff i'm interested in I always want to see LOTS of bad reviews, it's always very easy on the internet to find a bad review from someone who's had a problem, but people who have no issues tend not to shout about it.

IMG_20210415_162812.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm now having doubts about the as Marius over at Marius Hosting says he's had a lot of problems with his Cyperpower device and that customer service don't respond.

@Acetone how have you found yours?
I have CP1500EPFCLCD running and powering my whole 2xRS + 2xDS setup, including a 24 port switch and one more 16 port 10G switch. 0 problems.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Multiple Cyberpower 1500 AVR LCD units here, and quite happy with them! (+ Whole house Surge Suppressor & Generator, so UPS's are not connected to NAS or anything.) Only need 30-45 Seconds before Generator switch over.

One issue we did see early on, but has been 'adjusted' for: Generac Factory Trained Service Guy -- Loaded New firmware into generator, and 'tweaked' the LP Gas Regulator feeding generator: So as to minimize Generator adapting to heavy electrical load changes (He had me cycle Electric oven on and off with AC unit running full tilt.). Prior to this there were occasional AVR beeps as AVR reacted to the Generator reacting to the start of Heavy load changes.... Now, NOTHING!

PS... I have seen no issues with any Switching or analog power supplies reacting to NON-SINEWAVE UPS AC Power

Upvote 0
Came in a tin, eh! ;)

And for those not familiar.

Upvote 0
Heck that does look pretty complicated! I have to say my CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD-UK is performing nicely, much better than the old APC unit. Bonus that since installing it I've not had any 'disconnect' warnings from UPS Power Monitor.

Upvote 0
Kinda Depends on how long you want it to run after a power failure... How much of a load you want to run for that time, and how deep your pockets are.... to support extra "Headroom" for the above requirements.... for longer power outages....

Folks here have posted much on UPS Shutdown issues of late... That is a big part of the equation....
My pockets are not too deep and really only want the NAS to stay alive for about 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
“Deep Pockets” is modulated by the reliability of the AC Power you are fed!
(And the condition of the batteries in your UPS!)
Our case: We’re halfway up a mountain… fed by only one AC Feed for entire Mountain, fed from Power Company fed over a couple other mountains from Duke Energy in Asheville. NC. Had the UPS’s for 4-5 years… 4 of the 5 are on second set of batteries. I help neighbors with their Cyberpower UPS’s, too!

I would say we have 2 second power losses every other day or so, and 15 min or greater losses every other month. Not including AC noise when neighbor a mile away starts welding up or down the mountain. Or: A tree falls on power line!
Nothing like when we lived in the Chicagoland area! There AC outage was an oddity! Here in the Smokey Mountains: That is a normal occurrence! I would say 75% of houses here have generators. And of them, over half are whole house generators!

The reliability of your AC Power, has a tendency of changing your entire perspective as to what “ Deep Pockets” means!!

We have 5x 1500VA Cyberpower UPS’s with AVR. When new batteries were needed, 12V7A & 12V8A units were replaced with 12V9A batteries.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.