DSM 7.1 New user can't browse /photo over SMB but other users can...

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 New user can't browse /photo over SMB but other users can...

NAS
DS918+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
My wife and I have been using Synology Photos since day one and neither of us have ever had an issue browsing the "Shared Space" or /photo over SMB on our computers. However recently I added another user that I would like to be able to have full access to /photo but no matter what I try that user can browse any share except that one.

The user has R/W permissions on the shared folder. They are added to the users group just like everyone else. Both Synology Photos and SMB Application permissions are set to Allow, and in Synology Photos I have set the users Access Permissions to Full Control.

The user can login to Synology Photos and browse the Shared Space just fine, but they cannot access the /photo share at all over SMB, they cant even open the folder.

Im pretty much out of ideas...

Solution
Same thing reported on this thread: Shared folder permissions of /photo
That was it! My new user now has access. Full steps below.

The exact steps I followed were:
  1. Create new shared folder called /photo2
    1. I did not assign any permissions initially other than whats was set by default, and My admin account.
  2. Uninstall Synology Photos, but keep user data during install.
  3. Move everything from /photo into /photo2
  4. Delete the original /photo shared folder
  5. Rename /photo2 to /photo
  6. Re-Install Synology Photos and verify everything is still where it should be. It should appear as if nothing changed.
  7. Now you can go back to File Station and adjust the...
Last edited:
Need more info.
I have been using Synology Photos since day one
What NAS model number?
What NAS DSM version?
What Photos package are you using? Most current?

over SMB on our computers
What NAS SMB protocol are you using? Version 1, 2, or 3?

What is/are your client computer(s)? PC or Mac.
... and what OS version?

Does your new user name and/or password have any special characters in it?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Need more info.

What NAS model number?
What NAS DSM version?
What Photos package are you using? Most current?

What NAS SMB protocol are you using? Version 1, 2, or 3?

What is/are your client computer(s)? PC or Mac.
... and what OS version?

Does your new user name and/or password have any special characters in it?
Sorry I intended to include more info but was in a hurry.

DS918+
DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 3
Photos 1.3.3-0330

All clients are using SMB3, SMBv1 is disabled in DSM.

Clients I have tried to connect with are;
MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 using Finder.
Ubuntu 22.04 using Rclone.
Ubuntu 22.04 using smbclient

The new username has nothing but lowercase letters. The password is set to the same standard as the other accounts, so there are several special characters.
-- post merged: --

Try cloning either your user or your wife's and see if that one has the right access?
I actually didn't know you could do that. Unfortunately it didn't work, same result.

I did learn that if I manually put the path into the client I can connect to the /photo share, but nothing is displayed except #recycle.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Found this on SMB Settings.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 180126.jpg

It would appear that there may be special handling of permissions for the Photo package in a Linux environment. Admittedly, I don't know if this applies to your circumstance. But, perhaps it will give more experienced members a hint.

Also, did you update SMB services: Release Notes for SMB Service - Version: 4.10.18-0548

And you may want to check out Shared folder permissions of /photo

Upvote 0
Found this on SMB Settings.

View attachment 11834
It would appear that there may be special handling of permissions for the Photo package in a Linux environment. Admittedly, I don't know if this applies to your circumstance. But, perhaps it will give more experienced members a hint.
This might be a little relevant. I continued digging and I noticed the permissions tab on the properties window for /photo looked different than any other share, including screenshots posted by other people. I ended up finding a reddit post (I'll post the link as soon as I can find it) from someone who was having a different issue related to permissions. Turns out their issue was due to the share being created in DSM 6, and it didn't convert correctly to DSM 7...Well I've been migrating the same system since DSM 5 so I figured it's worth a shot to move everything out, and re-create the share.

Upvote 0
Same thing reported on this thread: Shared folder permissions of /photo
That was it! My new user now has access. Full steps below.

The exact steps I followed were:
  1. Create new shared folder called /photo2
    1. I did not assign any permissions initially other than whats was set by default, and My admin account.
  2. Uninstall Synology Photos, but keep user data during install.
  3. Move everything from /photo into /photo2
  4. Delete the original /photo shared folder
  5. Rename /photo2 to /photo
  6. Re-Install Synology Photos and verify everything is still where it should be. It should appear as if nothing changed.
  7. Now you can go back to File Station and adjust the permissions however you'd like. You'll notice that your permissions tab now has the new UI instead of the old style check boxes.

Upvote 0
Solution
Just stumbled on this and it looks like it may be the solution to my problem. In my case, I can see folders within \home\photos\photolibrary but within those folders there cases where some folders I can access over SMB from my Mac but other folders in same parent that show up on the Mac but they are greyed out and I cannot open them. That's even after adding my user ID back to the Admin group (which it had been in up till a month or so ago when I removed Admin to increase security of my NAS).

My one question is whether y'all are sure that the solution you found would work equally for \home\photos as well as for \photos? I may have the issue in both but the \home\photos folder (particularly photolibrary under that) is my primary concern right now.

Even you can confirm, I've still got a problem... the size of \home\photos (even just \home\photos\photolibrary) is larger than the free space on my NAS. So, to follow your steps above, I would first have to due quite a lot of cleanup on my NAS. :-(

That brings up my other question: when you say in step 3 "move everything", you literally mean use Move to take everything under \photos (in my case, the Personal library under \home\photos) from \home\photos and put it under \home\photos2?

Thanks,
Nate

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.