New Video Station & DS video

Currently reading
New Video Station & DS video

Personally I avoid the live transcoding, also because only one user at time can use it.
I prefer to convert all video to be always compatible for all users. And I developed an app for this, so I just drag and drop the files, and I know if they must be converted or not, and it convert only the required tracks, not all. So easy life! 😉

I use plex but find some of my films will not play and I use Kodi as a fallback it never fails to play. I like the look of Plex but wish all of my films would be playable via it though.

I’m sure there is a reason that it won’t play that can be detected and fixed.
I will have to check on the films that will not play it could have been some mkv files but will have to check next time a film will not play and see what type of file it was. I would sooner just use Plex but like I said its such an easy option to kick in the Kodi and play the film. I like the way I can stop a film on Plex and carry on where I left off in another room of my house. Kodi can only do it on same place it was stopped (using say a Firestick)

I will have to check on the films that will not play it could have been some mkv files but will have to check next time a film will not play and see what type of file it was. I would sooner just use Plex but like I said its such an easy option to kick in the Kodi and play the film. I like the way I can stop a film on Plex and carry on where I left off in another room of my house. Kodi can only do it on same place it was stopped (using say a Firestick)
Next time you get in a situation like that, open up Plex server UI and check to see how the video and audio tracks are handled. It could be that you are transcoding and your NAS is not able to handle it. Also, if you are not running with Plex Pass, HW transcoding will not work on that 1515+ model (if thats the nas in question), so it might very well be the problem.

Yes, Video Station and DS video are very limitating if here is a need of sharing video to several people form outside (via internet) in the same time. I have the DS1618+ and only one user in the same moment can play/stream/transcode the video file that I have shared also to few other people.
How to fix it? If I deny the online transcoding for shared videos, then the video cannot be played (my browser says "unsupported format").
Is there any recommended and modern format and codec, which I should use for convertin my videofile, so more people at the same moment could watch this video online (so then I could easily deny the transcoding feature for shared videos in the Video Station)?

Next time you get in a situation like that, open up Plex server UI and check to see how the video and audio tracks are handled. It could be that you are transcoding and your NAS is not able to handle it. Also, if you are not running with Plex Pass, HW transcoding will not work on that 1515+ model (if thats the nas in question), so it might very well be the problem.
Thanks for that I will take a look at that!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.