Currently reading
Newbie 2nd Drive

NAS
DS218j
Operating system
  1. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Newbie, I have a 218j and have just installed a 2nd hard drive both 3tb and am using it for plex personal use. My question is how do I setup the second drive purely as extra space ie. Making my setup from 3tb to 6tb I'm guessing that's possible. Thanks in advance for any help and information offered.

Solution
If you've already installed it, it is likely committed to mirroring the first drive.

Screenshots of Storage Manager's drives, storage pools, and volume views would clarify what you now have.
1000006593.jpg
1000006594.jpg
1000006592.jpg

If you've already installed it, it is likely committed to mirroring the first drive.

Screenshots of Storage Manager's drives, storage pools, and volume views would clarify what you now have.
1000006594.jpg

Upvote 0
It is clear from your screenshots that the second drive has not been Incorporated. Since you desire a total of 6 TB of storage capacity, use Storage Manager to create a new, second, storage pool and volume from the available drive. Be careful not to add this drive to the existing pool, else you will end up with a mirrored volume with 3 TB of capacity.

As an aside, look to use a screen snapshot tool on your computer. One is built in to the Windows operating system, or you may use a third party tool such as ShareX.

Upvote 0
It is clear from your screenshots that the second drive has not been Incorporated. Since you desire a total of 6 TB of storage capacity, use Storage Manager to create a new, second, storage pool and volume from the available drive. Be careful not to add this drive to the existing pool, else you will end up with a mirrored volume with 3 TB of capacity.

As an aside, look to use a screen snapshot tool on your computer. One is built in to the Windows operating system, or you may use a third party tool such as ShareX.
Thanks for your help 👍

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.