Newbie: How to install and use Pipes Digital CE container?

Currently reading
Newbie: How to install and use Pipes Digital CE container?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have some basic knowledge at this point. I've installed AdGuardHome (using the Wundertech tutorial) and a couple others. I would now like to host GitHub - pipes-digital/pipes: Repository for Pipes on my 920+. There is a container: Docker Hub which I confirmed is a container of it. I can do an install by downloading the image in Docker, but I realize now there must be additional install requirements.

Can anyone walk me through how to make this happen? Is it possible to install it in a way to be safely accessed from beyond my network? And I'm ok if you talk to me like a five-year-old :).

Thanks!

Have you tried to run a container from the image?

The Dockerfile for the tag looks like there is no clever entrypoint script that would make use of environment variables.

Thus said, it appears that you only need to container port 9292. with a local port (aka the host port on your NAS), start the container and then use http://{NAS-IP}:{whatever local port you assigned} to access the application?

Upvote 0
Have you tried to run a container from the image?

The Dockerfile for the tag looks like there is no clever entrypoint script that would make use of environment variables.

Thus said, it appears that you only need to container port 9292. with a local port (aka the host port on your NAS), start the container and then use http://{NAS-IP}:{whatever local port you assigned} to access the application?
I did try. The container seems to start up fine. I tried accessing the app from http://10.x.x.x:9292 without success. Nothing shows up. I tried leaving the container port at 9292 and changing the local port to a different number without any difference.

I feel like it is super close to working. Do I need to make it live in a folder like I did with AdGuard or qBittorrent?

Upvote 0
The docker image is brocken. The "CMD" instruction of the Dockerfile is configured to start the ruby interpreter, but not to start the application itself.

If you feel comfortable on the cli, ssh into your NAS and run this command as root user (sudo -i):
Code:
docker run -it -p 9292:9292 qrogers2/pipes:master bundle exec puma -e development
The part after the image name replaces the faulty CMD instruction, though this is NOT a permanent solution.

Probably it's better to wait for a better maintained image.

Upvote 0
Well, I sorta spoke too soon.... The container is definitely working - I see the default welcome screen. Basic functions work, but I'm unable to "sign-in". It uses Portier to send a login to an email address. I get the login info and plug it in page, but then I get:

Access to 10.x.x.x:9292 was denied
You don't have authorization to view this page.
HTTP ERROR 403

on http://10.x.x.x:9292/_browserid_assert

Any idea?

Also, the next challenge will be: how to make the resulting rss pipe feeds accessible to beyond my network?
Is it possible to access docker apps from anywhere? How to do it safely?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.