DS220+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi All,

Do hope you all Synology people are well and in Good Health.

Having just invested in a DS220+, I just have a few queries:
  • Do the HDDs in the NAS spin down when not in use?
  • Connecting to the NAS (via Chrome) is hit and miss for me, when I connect via the name or the IP address - I get "Page not found..." I have to try a couple times for the logon page to appear
  • I have the NAS connected via a WiFi network extender using an RG45 cable (as it is difficult to connect the NAS directly to the main router), would this make any difference to the connectivity?
  • when i try and launch some of the applications, like PhotoStation and VideoStation, they come up with Certification errors. This is from the DSM desktop direct. Any ideas why i get an invalid certificate error? I have tried re-installting the applications but still get the error - especially in PhotoStation. he program is running, but I can't open it.
  • When trying to connect to my NAS via the mobile APPs, apart from DSFile and DSFinder, other applications cannot seem to always find the NAS on my local LAN
  • Why does Moments create a strange convoluted file structure that is meaningless? Any way to force a more meaningful folder structure for photos?
Thank you for your assistance.

Do the HDDs in the NAS spin down when not in use?
If configured under Control Panel > Hardware and Power. However, there’re many scenarios that can prevent the disks from hibernating.

Connecting to the NAS (via Chrome) is hit and miss for me, when I connect via the name or the IP address - I get "Page not found..." I have to try a couple times for the logon page to appear
Could be the use of WiFi/extender. Try to ping the NAS from your desktop/laptop and see if the replies are consistent. If possible, wire it (Ethernet), just for testing and compare. Of course your NAS should be using a static or fixed IP address.

I have the NAS connected via a WiFi network extender using an RG45 cable (as it is difficult to connect the NAS directly to the main router), would this make any difference to the connectivity?
Try to have it wired for optimum performance and stability. You don’t need it visible, you can have it anywhere as long as there’s good air circulation.

when i try and launch some of the applications, like PhotoStation and VideoStation, they come up with Certification errors.
You might need to install an LE certificate and work on how to access your NAS using its FQDN. But first focus on fixing the above before you tackle this and the rest of the points.

Why does Moments create a strange convoluted file structure that is meaningless? Any way to force a more meaningful folder structure for photos?
I don’t use it but I think it’s the nature of the beast. Someone else might chime in.

Hi WST16,

Many Thanks for the reply, and the pointers.
I checked Control Panel and sure enough "HDD Hibernation" was on.
The others I will try.
Thanks once again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.