Newbie with questions: Backup file smaller than source

Currently reading
Newbie with questions: Backup file smaller than source

NAS
DS918+ & DS220J
Operating system
  1. Windows
I am in the process of setting up an offsite backup from my DS918+ to a DS220J+. After running hyperbackup the backup file is significantly smaller 414gb vs the 1.3 TB being backed up. I attempted to see if certain files are not backed up but have not had luck. Are all file types supported with hyperbackup? Is cloudsync a better option for backups? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Additionally, what is the best way to set up the backup to run locally before moving it offsite?

Hi,

Could be the result of file compression.
Try using:
Scroll down to Synology Hyper Backup Explorer, download and install for your OS. Check by examining and restoring some files to your desktop.

Additionally, what is the best way to set up the backup to run locally before moving it offsite?
Setup a task in HB as any other (NAS to NAS) let it finish, then later on, after you move it offsite, simply change the source task to reflect on your remote NAS new public IP (or DDNS name). That's it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.