Currently reading
Tutorial Newbies - Your first NAS, part 2 ... Network preparation

NAS
Synology, TrueNAS
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
jeyare submitted a new resource:

Newbies - Your first NAS, part 1 ... Network preparation - How to setup my internet or home connection for the NAS project?

6. Is my WAN or LAN ready for my NAS project? Next possible bottlenecks of your project.

WAN - Wide area network
aka internet. Main component of the WAN infrastructure:

- Data connection from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) aka “data product” or line, purchased by you from ISP. The speed is divided to Download (in WAN: sped of throughput to you from internet) and Upload (in WAN: from you to Internet) There are two main misunderstanding in real life:
  • Nominal...

Read more about this resource...

it will help us to send them to read appropriate topic, that was my idea to divide by logical chain. People frequently do a hurry decision, then they try to search how to stop a fire.

Gents, what kind of WAN do you have for your NAS:
  • technology (xDSL, cable, WiFi, FTTH, WTTx, 2G/3G/4G)
  • nominal speed D/U, avg real speed D/U
  • aggregation ratio, if signed by ISP
  • min. guaranted speed, if signed by ISP
  • what kind of VPN tunnel & % speed decrease by VPN tunnel

atm vdsl 43/10, rl speed is the same. Soon moving to a new place where ftth will be installed with an option to go to 1/1Gbit as max. 4G on that same location is about 70/40 on average atm.

VPN via Nord on my 43/10 location, speeds are about 38-40/9 via tunnel on average.

2 WAN links on my location:

1st VDSL 8/2 (should configure this as a backup link once I find time for that)
2nd 4G 70/30 avg (my main WAN link)

no VPN tunneling for outbound traffic on either link, running VPN server on RT2600AC and when connected my DL/UL speeds are 20/10.

If you need to know how your WiFi speed is determined by your house "physics", then you can download this Free APP:
iOS: SweetSpots
Android: SweetSpots
If you have multiply WiFi networks 2.4/5GHz switch & measure all of impacts to your speed
Don't forget, that 802.11a/b/g devices will show you just limited speed from 802.11n/ac WiFi router/AP performance

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back