NextCloud on my NAS

Currently reading
NextCloud on my NAS

I have Nextcloud installed on my DS218+ and I use it for calendar & contacts (using Cal and Card DAV) as well as for files and tasks. I installed it directly following the instructions on this site. I have upgraded several times and any issues are covered in the comments - I posted many of them (my name is Phillip). I am now using Nextcloud v16. Use Hyperbackup to backup the whole web folder and the MariaDB app. I have restored a couple of backups and the process is flawless.

I use Synology's DDNS to access my Nextcloud instance from outside my network, ie. https//xxxx.synology.me:yyyy/nextcloud (yyyy is the external port I use, translating to port 443 internally). I do not use the DS reverse proxy, everything was configured during the installation process.

I tried the Docker route but wasn't happy with it. I much prefer having a direct install.

https: // luvis . se / software / install-nextcloud-on-synology-dsm-6/ - without the spaces, of course, lol!

Try it on your phone with wifi turned off. Might be something on your network preventing access. Working fine here.

I'm pleased to be using my NAS for something useful. May aim was to rid myself of Google services and I've achieved it. Nextcloud is a fine replacement for several Google services and I use Fastmail for my email. Fastmail does calendars and contacts but I have more control with Nextcloud and I'm hosting the data.

https: // luvis . se / software / install-nextcloud-on-synology-dsm-6/ - without the spaces, of course, lol!
Yes, but it does not load for me.

I'm pleased to be using my NAS for something useful. May aim was to rid myself of Google services and I've achieved it. Nextcloud is a fine replacement for several Google services and I use Fastmail for my email. Fastmail does calendars and contacts but I have more control with Nextcloud and I'm hosting the data.
Great, I've left Google services for my personal stuff too. Using calendar and contacts with calDAV and cardDAV to my NAS, I like my email client for my email addresses, using posteo.de email service. So, almost everything is on my NAS.

Actually, I have enough control for calendar and contacts in my email client, that's why I think I actually don't need NC.

I just had a look at Posteo - it looks rather impressive. Cheaper but fewer features than Fastmail though. Good, customisable spam protection and domain hosting are two essentials for me.

Came here today hoping to find a Docker HowTo link... hahaha.... guess I'll muddle through this one (I was feeling brave after a Duplicati Docker install... but that one is quite simple 🤷‍♂️

Came here today hoping to find a Docker HowTo link... hahaha.... guess I'll muddle through this one (I was feeling brave after a Duplicati Docker install... but that one is quite simple 🤷‍♂️
There is a link to a know how for running NC in docker. Scroll up and you will find it. Be brave. You can do it.

There is a link to a know how for running NC in docker. Scroll up and you will find it. Be brave. You can do it.
Yea I saw that... but I wanted to use maria_db. So I figured that I would start out locally, without all the cert stuff. So I edited the container and directed local port 10080 to the 80 container port. Started the container and set my browser to 192.168.1.10:10080 and no go.

I recall this working some time ago... back then I deleted the container and image figuring I'd give it a go when I had more time. Surely it can't be this hard.

Last edited:
Some while ago I played around with a beginner friendly templating... as a coincidence. the example consists of nextcloud and mariadb... The example will setup the whole installation while skipping the initial configuration page.

Just extract the zip on your DS, edit the variables in render.sh, then just execute `./render.sh` with the parameters you would normaly pass over to docker-compose.

Attachments

• nextcloud_template.zip
    924 bytes · Views: 54

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.