Resource icon

Docker Nextcloud - the self-hosted productivity platform that keeps you in control

Currently reading
Docker Nextcloud - the self-hosted productivity platform that keeps you in control

Are you offering? :cool:

I've not gone through the pros and cons of Nextcloud vs Synology's various packages. Someone want to do it?

one thing is that nextcloud is opensource and using federation you can easily build a "bridge" between the files you share in public with the your own nas. Also you have a lot of apps usable on netxcloud, for example you can use libreoffice onlineeasily and such things.

I will need to understand how an app work on synology but it seems feasible . Owncloud can be installed manually also : Install Owncloud 10 on DSM 6.1

@wwwampy the issue is that it kind of hard to host synology on a server.... so it imply to use a synology sass to replace it. Also one thing is that libreoffice online works with nextcloud and allows real file to be stored on disk which is not the case with synology office :/

@wwwampy the issue is that it kind of hard to host synology on a server.... so it imply to use a synology sass to replace it. Also one thing is that libreoffice online works with nextcloud and allows real file to be stored on disk which is not the case with synology office :/
Not sure what you mean by this post?

Last edited:
I was answering to @wwwampy when he was saying to still use synology apps :)

I meant that with nextcloud you can federate multiple servers. So I don't have to give an access to the main server in the office to customers. I just replicate partial files to a remote server and get the updates from it. On the remote server people can collaborate using libreoffice. The only possible soution with synology would be using an external service that offer synology. Or can we install the DSM ourself?

Also the difference between libreoffice and synology office is tht synology office is created just a small shortcut to a file actually stored in the database where libre office online is storing a real file.

I ran across a very complete how-to-install-nextcloud on Docker using the Synology UI (just the UI, not even SSH to get group and user IDs).
It also runs through setting up a separate instance of mariaDB, getting both the nextcloud and mariaDB on the same virtual network. I followed the steps (excepting the ones to use a scheduled task to get the IDs) - and nextcloud is working fine.
This tutorial suggests that 30443 be used for https. It makes a lot of sense to use something other than 443 if you're port forwarding. The Android apps work fine if you tell them nextcloud is at HTTPS://[yourdomain]:30443.

Gotta say, a YAML/YML file for docker-compose would have been loads easier.

Also, I got warnings from nextcloud that SQLite (mariaDB) wouldn't be fast enough for a production system, anyone know if that matters for three to five users?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.