Nginx ghost process?!

Currently reading
Nginx ghost process?!

NAS
DS220+
I'm trying to start a nginx-docker compose service on my NAS but get an error “Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use”

It turns out that there are some nginx processes running on my NAS (ps -ef | grep nginx) and I suspect that's where the error comes from. The thing is, I don't understand why those processes are running and how to stop them (I killed them manually but they keep comming back) . I suspect that nginx isinstalled somewhere on my system, but I can't find out if that is indeed the case (tried apt-get update, but that doesn't work).

Question:

How do I find out if nginx is indeed installed on my system?

Any ideas/suggestions about my error message?

How do I find out if nginx is indeed installed on my system?
Port 80/443 that is running is for the built in nginx that DSM uses as its reverse proxy. Do not eliminate it as it will come back to life and messing with it can lead to problems with DSM.

Best to run that docker nginx on custom ports in parallel.

Upvote 0
Port 80/443 that is running is for the built in nginx that DSM uses as its reverse proxy. Do not eliminate it as it will come back to life and messing with it can lead to problems with DSM.

Best to run that docker nginx on custom ports in parallel.
Thank you for your response.
Do I understand correctly that DSM itself also uses Nginx (on port 80)?
I'm going to try to get "my nginx" to listen on a different port.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.