No LAN LED, no possible to Factory reset - no 3 beeps

Currently reading
No LAN LED, no possible to Factory reset - no 3 beeps

NAS
218j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hello all,
I have Synology 215 from 3 years and only the issue with it is a slow (100MB) network...
That's why I got a second hand DS218j from Germany. The seller claims that the station had worked until the sell.
Yesterday I try to start and access the "new" DS218j...
The first that I mentioned was that:
1. The status led flashing orange.
2. The disks LED are green
3. There is NO light on the LAN LED....
--
As I read, I tried to exchange the network cable - 3 different - no change of the status.
Then I tried to change the switch ports with all this cables - same situation.
Cables and switch ports works with another devices !!!
--
Then I tried to reset the device: 4 seconds - 1 beep = no change
Then I tried factory reset of the device: 4 seconds - 1 beep + another 4 seconds... but there is NO 3 beeps - just one again... Tried many tines without success.
---
Questions:
Is there some way for another reset?
Is it possible the LAN to be burned somehow during trying to reset the station before the sell?

Any advices / sugestions will be appreciated.
Thanks all in advance.

Denis

Welcome to the forum

The status led flashing orange.
This would mean that the DSM (OS) is not installed, and that makes sense if the device has been passed on.

There is NO light on the LAN LED
This on the other hand is a bit problematic, as even with no OS installed the status of this light should be green indicating that the connection has been made.

Have you tried to reset it even without the drives? I would personally return the device and get another. Not worth the hassle imho.

Can you try connecting a Mac/PC directly to the NAS? See if you can see the NAS from the Terminal/CMD [Powershell] using arp -an. The two devices should also auto-negotiate 169.254.xx.yy addresses.

Have you cleaned the NAS LAN port? In transit there may be some fluff on the pins. Also check the NAS internals look undamaged... you'll see a fair bit of them when installing the drives in DS2xxj NAS.

What speed is the the switch? I did see recently some high speed switch/switch ports (>1Gb) may not support sub-1G connections, if the NAS is mis-behaving it could be that.

You won't get much speed increase with any NAS that you connect a single 1 GbE LAN cable: a higher spec NAS will be able to run more and heavier applications that use more resources, but shifting data in/out over the 1 GbE LAN port will be max'ed out at 128 MB/s (including packet headers, data payload, etc). The DS215j has a 1 GbE LAN port (like the DS218j) and should be able to transfer data at over 90 MB/s, I'm sure I remember mine doing so.

Synology advises DSM 7 on NAS with a minimum of 1 GB RAM, which I think misses these j-series NAS (512 KB?).

Can you try connecting a Mac/PC directly to the NAS? See if you can see the NAS from the Terminal/CMD [Powershell] using arp -an. The two devices should also auto-negotiate 169.254.xx.yy addresses.
No respond, no device.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.