no way to play DTS audio at all?

Currently reading
no way to play DTS audio at all?

NAS
DS920+
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm a NAS noob. I've been converting my DVDs and now BluRays into MKVs and have them in Video Station. It works pretty well on two smart TVs and multiple iOS devices. Right up until I found a movie with only DTS sound.

Am I correct that there is no way to get Video Station to play DTS audio? I guess the real limitation is on the DS video client, which I have on a Sony TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and iOS devices.

Is there a workaround? I could convert the audio tracks but that seems difficult. Change to Plex? (I couldn't get it to even play a movie on my 2020 Sony Android TV).

Thanks for any help - Happy new Year.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think DTS is no longer supported by Video Station.

There’re a few Plex users on the forum so they might help with fixing your Plex problem. I’m using Emby but I can’t recall (didn’t pay attention) if I tried anything with DTS. So far it played everything I tried.
-- post merged: --

Check this on Emby’s forum. A discussion about DTS and LG TV. Not necessarily to install Emby, but the info could be useful :)

Hi,

I think DTS is no longer supported by Video Station.

There’re a few Plex users on the forum so they might help with fixing your Plex problem. I’m using Emby but I can’t recall (didn’t pay attention) if I tried anything with DTS. So far it played everything I tried.
-- post merged: --

Check this on Emby’s forum. A discussion about DTS and LG TV. Not necessarily to install Emby, but the info could be useful :)
Thanks for the great info. I was unaware of Emby. I was hoping for a free app but it seems like I'm going to have to pay. From the forum post you linked, it sounds like Plex may be able to work. I'll try to get it running on my Sony TV again. Thanks!

Thanks for the great info. I was unaware of Emby. I was hoping for a free app but it seems like I'm going to have to pay. From the forum post you linked, it sounds like Plex may be able to work. I'll try to get it running on my Sony TV again. Thanks!
Plex does not support DTS (if you have the gear to push it), and it will be transcoded on the plex server-side and then streamed.

Does the app support DTS audio?​

At present, there is no support for 3rd-party applications to play DTS audio. Content with DTS audio will have the audio automatically transcoded (using the standard DTS core track) by the Plex Media Server in order to preserve the surround sound audio channels.

We’re working with Microsoft to bring DTS playback support in the future.

Another vote for Plex. I see you have the 4 bay version of my DS1520+ though I play out via Apple TV HD & 4K, plus iOS and Safari.

Playing MKV from MakeMKV works regardless of the source audio format, whether AAC, LPCM, AC3, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, etc. If the original format isn’t supported, they get transcoded to meet the Plex client’s device capabilities.

My Apple TV 4K is connected to a 7.1 AV amp and I see the amp receives ‘Multi-In’ for 5.1 and 7.1 tracks. So either Plex server or player is breaking these formats into separate channels.

It’s been said on here a few times: install Plex on the NAS and use the existing media folders to create libraries in Plex. You can then test to see if it works for you. It’s a pretty quick test and takes very little space as you’re sharing the same media

it's not about whether plex itself supports DTS (it does as a client), but it's whether the device you are running the client on supports DTS.

if the device supports DTS then you're fine, if it does then tell the plex client there is no DTS support and it'll transdcode the audio down to a supported format.

example, the current 2020 models from LG have dropped DTS supports, so any plex client running on the TV will result in no DTS audio output unless you transcode it.

If your client doesn't support DTS, you can try video converter to transcode the video to a readable format. Handbrake is a good freeware you can try. Good luck.

Real time transcoding drastically reduce the quality of your video, and can be done only with one video at time. It is highly recommended that you convert all your video to a format supported by Video Station.

just to bring this conversation back to life.

i was quite disappointed to find out that (after upgrading my nas and trying to do things "properly") DTS audio (in MKV files) doesn't play back through DS Video on my TV, however it does play back through DS Video on my phone, browser etc. Pretty annoying. DTS audio works on the TV when accessing the same files through the Sony TV Video app.

Hey there,
If someone is interested, I made a patcher to enable DTS, TrueHD and EAC3 transcoding on VideoStation using a wrapper (ffmpeg from synocommunity), you can find it and all the installation steps on this repository:
GitHub - AlexPresso/VideoStation-FFMPEG-Patcher: Patcher to enable DTS, EAC3 and TrueHD support to Synology VideoStation (DSM 7.0 ready)

I tried the above and despite high hopes it hasn't worked. To be fair I haven't tried the "with options" script because I am a noob and have no idea what the options are!

I would like to avoid Plex, kodi and similar as I have tried before and am keen to stick to one ecosystem if possible.

I'm going to explore the permanent transcoding route but to me this isn't ideal as if say you download a video to your NAS offsite, and then want to stream it on your tv when you get home, you will have to transcode it first or watch it through a different app - which somewhat defeats the point of a single solution.

Would be interested to hear if people have come up with other solutions, without using third party software.

just to bring this conversation back to life.

i was quite disappointed to find out that (after upgrading my nas and trying to do things "properly") DTS audio (in MKV files) doesn't play back through DS Video on my TV, however it does play back through DS Video on my phone, browser etc. Pretty annoying. DTS audio works on the TV when accessing the same files through the Sony TV Video app.

I tried the above and despite high hopes it hasn't worked. To be fair I haven't tried the "with options" script because I am a noob and have no idea what the options are!

I would like to avoid Plex, kodi and similar as I have tried before and am keen to stick to one ecosystem if possible.

I'm going to explore the permanent transcoding route but to me this isn't ideal as if say you download a video to your NAS offsite, and then want to stream it on your tv when you get home, you will have to transcode it first or watch it through a different app - which somewhat defeats the point of a single solution.

Would be interested to hear if people have come up with other solutions, without using third party software.
If you have an ARMv8 NAS then you have to try with options, I can garantee it works for every architectures with or without options :)

If you have an ARMv8 NAS then you have to try with options, I can garantee it works for every architectures with or without options :)
Hey and thank you for the quick response

I actually have a DS920+ which is geminilake (x64) - I have upgraded the 416slim but need to update my profile :)

I have realised that the mkv I am trying to play does not have DTS audio, it is mp2, so unfortunately your creation doesn't help me.

Thanks nonetheless!

Hey there,
If someone is interested, I made a patcher to enable DTS, TrueHD and EAC3 transcoding on VideoStation using a wrapper (ffmpeg from synocommunity), you can find it and all the installation steps on this repository:
GitHub - AlexPresso/VideoStation-FFMPEG-Patcher: Patcher to enable DTS, EAC3 and TrueHD support to Synology VideoStation (DSM 7.0 ready)
I followed the steps provided on GitHub by Alex Presso and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 is now working great in the DS Video app on Firestick and FireTV. Note: make sure to first create a new rule in the Synology firewall on your NAS to allow inbound SSH connections as required to run the patch. Outstanding work Alex!! Your the Best!

Have to admit, I have since moved from DS Video to Plex, and I would never go back. You may have to pay for Plex but it is lightyears ahead. Fantastic app/system.
Thank you for urging me to try Plex! I installed Plex on my aging Synology DS1512+ to see how it compared to DS Video (with DTS patch). I took a quick glance at the Plex interface and instantly saw what I was missing by previously using DS Video. Wow! What a difference, huh? I won't be going back to DS Video either. If you don't mind me asking, What feature(s) of the paid Plex service do you find most useful?

Last edited:
What feature(s) of the paid Plex service do you find most useful?
Speaking for only myself (and frankly, we're a bit OT on this)... I used Plex (free) for about three years before purchasing a lifetime Plex Pass. I did do primarily to support the developers. I did not need hardware transcoding, and most other Plex Pass features I was indifferent to, though I now use the mobile apps occasionally, though infrequently (without charge), and Plexamp is my favorite for commuting. It is far, far superior to Video Station (which was forked from Plex quite some time ago).

Edit1: I forgot "skip intro"... A non-essential, but nice to have feature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.