Noctua NF-A9 FLX fan replacement for Synology DS720+

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have 4 months old Synology DS720+ which work well so far.
the plastic enclosure is a bit noisy because of the fan (when HDDs hibernate) so I tried with Noctua NF-A9 FLX which has a great quality fan!!
the device started to beep after 1 hour. I guess that Synology measure the speed of the fan as a method to avoid users modify the fan - that's a bit annoying! what if I want to upgrade to a better fan like in my case? any solution?

I found that the file below allows to change and modify, but I don't really know what figures I should replace and to what :(
/usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml
Did someone tried that?

Hi dorz5,
There are youtube videos for exchanging other Synology unit fans which have been successful, so could you have been delivered the wrong fans? You know about Noctua so I guess you know they do a huge range (three pin, four pin pwm, 5v, 12v...)
Alternatively could you have installed them back to front so they blow the wrong way?
Did you use the ultra low-noise adaptor too? People say it works, but as it drops the speed of the fan perhaps on your Synology it tips a threshold somewhere?
Sorry, don't mean to preach to the converted, but this sort of thing happens sometimes.

There are only two models with the same size/pins for DS720+ and I'm sure it's the correct one.
airflow installed correctly

What is the ultra low-noise adaptor?

Thank you

There are only two models with the same size/pins for DS720+ and I'm sure it's the correct one.
airflow installed correctly

What is the ultra low-noise adaptor?

Thank you
Typically with Noctua fans you get a bit of extra cable, like an extension piece. It reduces the speed of the fan and hence the noise.
If you use that then perhaps the speed is too low for the Synology.
Just a thought, these things can cause trouble with electronics sometimes.

I’m using the original standard cable, there’s no noise. Noctua is quite.. the issue is that Synology beep and raise alarm for fan not working.

Hi all,

I have 4 months old Synology DS720+ which work well so far.
the plastic enclosure is a bit noisy because of the fan (when HDDs hibernate) so I tried with Noctua NF-A9 FLX which has a great quality fan!!
the device started to beep after 1 hour. I guess that Synology measure the speed of the fan as a method to avoid users modify the fan - that's a bit annoying! what if I want to upgrade to a better fan like in my case? any solution?

I found that the file below allows to change and modify, but I don't really know what figures I should replace and to what :(
/usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml
Did someone tried that?
Tried to do the same and had the same issue. For me, this was solved by simply changing the fan speed mode in the power and hardware settings from quite to cool. So far two days without any fan malfunction alarm.

Be sure, when 3pin fans (mostly used in Syno NASes) use Voltage control mode (VCM), then you need purchase suitable voltage range, according the existing fan P/N (5/12V).
There is not 100% sure when fan connector from MoBo has 4pins, that it contains also PWM signal from 4th pin (I found also 4pins VCM). There is just single proof only = MoBo vendor documentation. And this is one of the Achilles tendon at Syno kitchen. Zero.

Both of them - 3 or 4 pins are manageable. Each with diff method.

This is one common supplier of fans to the Syno boxes, you can find there spec by the P/N (example):

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.