Currently reading
Noise from my drive

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
I have had disk activity issues in my DS918+ even when the NAS is idle. I tried reinstall the entire thing but the problem remains. It's a periodic sound and it repeat itself in intervals during idle.
I've tried stopping/uinstalling packages and try monitoring with the resource monitor but nothing obvious. Now I suspect it might be my new WD RED 6TB I recently purchased that causes this. I've got a volume with 3xWD RED 6TB's and the new one is a part of that volume.
During the activity it feels like it's only that drive that makes noise (I feel the vibration with my fingers when I hold them against the drive bay). If it would be some other activity all drives would make the same noise I guess. I wonder if this could be some headparking/similar functionality with the drive....?
Anyone knows what this could be? It drives me nuts with this noise..
I guess I could unplug the drive in my SHR-setup, to see if the noise stops, but rebuilding the RAID again isn't that tempting..

Of the top of my head, I can't say anything for sure. I can say that 4TB RED that I have are much noisier then 3TB drives but, can't say that one drive is noisier than the other. It could be that the new drive you have is a different series. Maybe thez changed something inside of it.

I have had disk activity issues in my DS918+ even when the NAS is idle. I tried reinstall the entire thing but the problem remains. It's a periodic sound and it repeat itself in intervals during idle.
Now I suspect it might be my new WD RED 6TB I recently purchased that causes this.

Welcome in the SMR world, more you can read in our Blog, then you will understand better your wording:
"It's a periodic sound and it repeat itself in intervals during idle."

Last edited:
My older WD Red 6TB's (with 64MB cache instead of 256MB) doesn't seem to produce such noise.. is it a "feature" of newer RED-drives only?
So, what kind of 6TB drive should I buy instead? :)

Did you manage to sort this out?
I have a DS416 which is making a knocking noise since I installed a new drive (Seagate Ironwolf 8TB).

Yeah, seems to be SMR issues, I've returned a couple of drives from different manufacturers that produced odd noises. I have no idea which (silent) drives to buy today (except from SSD's perhaps).

no two similar knocking are the same knocking:
- head parking is normal during idle, then you can listen such knocking
- you can check your SMART data and watch your LCC (Load/Unload Cycle count, 193/ 0x0C1) during the knocking. Better with
Code:
smartctl
command in CLI. you can find guide in this forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.