Currently reading
Non-zero drive reconnection count on new HDD

NAS
DS1019+, DS412+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
So my older backup NAS, a DS412+ that I repurposed as a backup NAS after upgrading to a newer DS1015+, was starting to run a bit short on space. The existing drives were two HGST 4GB HDDs (HDN724040ALE640), one Toshiba N300 4TB drive (HDWQ140) and a remaining Seagate 3TB drive (ST3000VN000) that I decided to replace to create the space after more than 6 years of service.

I decided to replace it with an 8TB Toshiba drive to make a subsequent increase in capacity easier, probably within the next year or so, and ordered one (HDWG180) after checking the compatibility list, though I subsequently realised I checked it for the 1019+ and not the 412+. Before realising this, I replaced the 3TB drive with the 8TB Toshiba drive and rebuilt the storage pool.

The drive has worked fine and the NAS has not displayed any problems, but when I checked the drive health info for the new drive, I noticed the drive reconnection count reading was 21 after 33 hours of power on time, whereas all the other drives on both NAS' have a zero count. I'm running an extended smart test as we speak, but could this be caused by the drive not being compatible? Or could it be a faulty drive?

It could be both. Still if it expanded from then not sure there is a problem with compatibility. My guess is a bad drive. Any other errors?
Not thus far. The extended SMART test finished and came back healthy. The only attribute that looks a bit odd is disk shift.

A few days later, and there is no increase in the drive reconnection count. Though the disk shift parameter has seen a modest increase, both quick and extended SMART tests keep coming back as healthy.

Not sure how to interpret that parameter though, none of my previous HGST or Seagate drives even seem to have it. Any ideas?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.