1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I have a Nord VPN subscription and I would like to set it up on my NAS to work for my entire LAN, like a gateway for the internet.

I'm not sure how to do it exactly and would need some guidance.

Thank you.

I have it running like that.

The idea is to create a vpn profile (in Network section), connect using a specific openvpn file (for example) to a specific Nord server and create a valid connection.

After you connect to nord you can use your NAS IP address as a gateway for all your LAN devices. They will all then use your NAS vpn tunnel as a point before leaving your LAN and hitting the Internet.

That's it, nothing much to it.

The idea is to create a vpn profile (in Network section), connect using a specific openvpn file (for example) to a specific Nord server and create a valid connection.
Ok, so I create a VPN profile here:

Screenshot 2019-12-13 at 09.26.02.png

Select OpenVPN or OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file)?

If with file, where do I get that file and the NordVPN server address?

After you connect to nord you can use your NAS IP address as a gateway for all your LAN devices.
And where can I set this?

Select OpenVPN or OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file)?

If with file, where do I get that file and the NordVPN server address?
Via import. Log into your Nord account, and then go into the list of servers pick one and download the OVPN file
And where can I set this?
depending on the operating system it will vary.
In macOS, it’s in system preferences networking, you will see a gateway field that you need to edit with your correct NASIP address.
if it’s an iOS device, then you’re going to settings Wi-Fi click the exclamation logo and change the router setting.

in the windows operating system, go to network settings and change the adapter properties under IPV4. The exact setting you’re looking here is gateway, change it to your NASIP address.

If I set the VPN as "Use default gateway on remote network " ... how do I prevent the NAS from connecting outside my LAN when VPN connection breaks... And is there an alerting system for that eventuality?

Last edited:
Don’t forget to set NordVPN DNS servers in your network preferences to prevent DNS leak.
NordVPN DNS:

You could configure DHCP with the gateway of your NAS. And then let it distribute the addresses to the various clients. You would prevent a client from going outside the VPN.

And if you have a device that doesn't need to go through the vpn. Then you can set it up manually or you can also do that via the DNS Server of the NAS with views.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.