not listed compatible ssd

NAS
ds218j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello !
I need to repurpose my old ds218j in witch I want to use ssd's. I have found timetec ssd 1Tb on amazon and they are very cheap !
so I would like to know if they will work without issues

thks

My experience with cheap SSD is not very good, they are often DRAMless and their temperature will rise above 60C, not a problem at all for your SSD, but the Syno shuts down because of High temperature.

Even now they are cheap, I would not recommend dramless again as you nas may shutdown under load.

I hope those SSDs are quite cheap, because they won't outperform an HDD on a j-unit. That's like me buying this bike, and expecting to haul in trophies... just not gonna happen.
Depends on what definition of 'outperform' you have in mind:

• They'll be quieter than HDDs
  • They'll reduce idle power consumption by ~14W for the pair. That's 15W of a total draw of I guess around 21W for the whole NAS. That's a significant reduction.
  • Reads/writes will be limited by the Nic / weak CPU, but there's a good chance that latency will be lowered making things like directory traversals much snappier

...whether this stuff matters depends on one's priorities / usecase ofc, but for the price difference between a couple of cheap 1TB 2.5" SSDs & their HDD equivalents I reckon it's probably worth a try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.