Currently reading
Not using RAID

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am getting my first NAS Synology DS920+ this coming weekend. I plan to use it for Plex Media only. I want to maximize all the storage and do not need to mirror any of the data as I have all the files backed up on other devices.

I was under the impression I could treat my NAS Drives as separate disks like I do my external hard drives but after watching some YouTube and posts on Reddit I am more confused.

Is there a way to setup my devise with out using RAID? And if so how? Also can you explain if I have 3 disks and one fails does all the data on all three disks disappear or just the data on the one failed disk?

Appreciate the advice. Happy to give more info if needed.

Is there a way to setup my devise with out using RAID? And if so how? Also can you explain if I have 3 disks and one fails does all the data on all three disks disappear or just the data on the one failed disk?
Using Storage Manager you can set each drive as a "Basic" drive. This will in return give you 3 volumes, each separate from the other. Meaning that if a drive fails only data on that drive will be compromised.

So yes, you can configure them separately.

Using Storage Manager you can set each drive as a "Basic" drive. This will in return give you 3 volumes, each separate from the other. Meaning that if a drive fails only data on that drive will be compromised.

So yes, you can configure them separately.
Thank you that is what I am looking for as I have separate external drives as a back up.

When running Plex do you know if I need to do anything extra for Plex to view each volume (disk)? Ideally I am looking for the same concept I have now just using my NAS. Currently for Plex I have my media files across multiple external drives plugged into my computer. I configured Plex to scan the correct disk and file simultaneously so I do not have toggle between any of them.

Thank you that is what I am looking for as I have separate external drives as a back up.

When running Plex do you know if I need to do anything extra for Plex to view each volume (disk)? Ideally I am looking for the same concept I have now just using my NAS. Currently for Plex I have my media files across multiple external drives plugged into my computer. I configured Plex to scan the correct disk and file simultaneously so I do not have toggle between any of them.
Once you install Plex on the NAS it will install "plex" user. That user needs the read permissions to your various shared folders that you will create across your volumes where your content will be. Then simply use Plex server UI to connect libraries to those destinations and you are done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.