Note Station alternative

Currently reading
Note Station alternative

Thanks everyone, I've got Joplin running and syncing via WebDAV. I now think this is a better app for me that Note Station. Its doing what I need and its a much better Mac app that NS. Also I've installed the macOS Theme plugin, bonus!

I didn't have WebDAV installed on my Synology, but I think I did in the past. @dimfil what's the danger using port 5006?

Thanks everyone, I've got Joplin running and syncing via WebDAV. I now think this is a better app for me that Note Station. Its doing what I need and its a much better Mac app that NS. Also I've installed the macOS Theme plugin, bonus!

I didn't have WebDAV installed on my Synology, but I think I did in the past. @dimfil what's the danger using port 5006?

Nothing more than @Telos already said.
No specific danger but there is a big discussion about the benefit from minimising the list of open ports to the net. Reverse proxy helps on that direction...

Is WebDAV much slower as mentioned above? I found using IMAP for Apple Notes slow. Am I right in thinking everything has to sync using WebDAV rather than just what the database know needs to sync?
How do you use IMAP with synology for Apple notes? I would be interested in trying this.

How do you use IMAP with synology for Apple notes? I would be interested in trying this.
As I remember... When you create an IMAP account it offers to allow you to use it for mail and or notes. So if you want to keep notes on the same account as email, select that option. Or you could have a separate IMAP account and just keep it for notes.

Most email apps will show your notes. Personally I found that odd. But you can also access your notes via webmail.

The short answer is just use an existing IMAP account and add that to Notes.app settings (in macOS and or iOS) or create an new IMAP account on your server and use that.

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
As I remember... When you create an IMAP account it offers to allow you to use it for mail and or notes. So if you want to keep notes on the same account as email, select that option. Or you could have a separate IMAP account and just keep it for notes.

Most email apps will show your notes. Personally I found that odd. But you can also access your notes via webmail.

The short answer is just use an existing IMAP account and add that to Notes.app settings (in macOS and or iOS) or create an new IMAP account on your server and use that.

Hope that makes sense!
I think that makes sense.

I have never setup mail server on synology so may need to open a new thread for some help on this!

Addendum:
As an aside I have been looking for a note solution that would basically be apple notes and sync through webdav or file structure straight onto my synology.

Currently I'm using devonthink (I'm a Mac, iPad, iOS guy) and this works about as good as I have found. I love apple notes, and the idea of the imap sync is tempting, but as I look into this to run a mail server just for this probably is a bit overkill as iCloud is pretty easy and now has additional encryption.

I have tried obsidian with the remotely save app which will sync with webdav but have had versioning issues and don't trust it. Since obsidian only allows saving the files to iCloud folder on iOS/iPadOS, this doesn't let you keep the folder in your drive account (or this would be what I would use).

I just wanted to point to my old question, how to export notes from NoteStation (including attachments!) to another app?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.