Currently reading
Solved Nothing in Hyper Backup Vault

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've used Hyper Backup to backup to another Syno NAS. According to my reading of the instructions, I should see something in the remote NAS's HB Vault. There ain't nuffink there.

Maybe it's cos I used rsync? But there's no mention of that in the docs.

(I did ask this before in another thread but it was never answered.)

Vault app is only to access HB tasks and backups in order to restore them.
Yes, that's what I thought. But I'm using Hyper Backup and Hyper Backup Vault is empty. Nothing there, how do I restore?
If you used rsync method you will see it in HB on the source side and the result will be on the destination side on the file level
Must be losing something in translation here. What do you mean by the "source side" and "the destination side on the file level"?

Source side is your NAS you are backing up from and the destination side is your target server.

You can use Vault app only with tasks that are compatible with it. Meaning that if you are using single file copy (rsync) you will not see the tasks in your vault. The one ones you will see are the ones that are using the new Synology database proprietary format (HBK).

Those are backups that are being used in this 1st "Synology" category, specifically the ones on the right side, "Remote NAS" and "C2"

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 15.20.29.png

Nothing there, how do I restore?
You can restore on your destination device using HB app (not vault) by using the Restore > Data button on the bottom left side and then, if no tasks show up, select "Restore from existing repositories" again in the bottom left corner:

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 15.23.45.png

You can use Vault app only with tasks that are compatible with it. Meaning that if you are using single file copy (rsync) you will not see the tasks in your vault. The one ones you will see are the ones that are using the new Synology database proprietary format (HBK).
OK, I accept that but what is compatible? I'm not using 'rsync copy (single version)'- if that 's what you mean by "single file copy (rsync)" - I'm using 'rsync' And rsync gives me an hbk format backup on the 'remote' backup Synology. But its not in Hyper Backup Vault, even though you - and the documents I've read - say it should be. Or imply it should.

I'm pretty sure this is down to piss poor documentation. We'd all have more time down the pub if Synology wrote some proper instructions.

I thought that HB Vault on the destination was the other half of using HB with 'Synology: Remote NAS device'. I use this type between my two Synology NAS; before I used to use 'Other: rsync' when the destination NAS was another vendor.

Is there any way for HB Vault to know when and where rsync tasks happen?

If you do want to use HB Vault then I suspect that you'll have to do a test to see if an rsync's .hbk can be relinked to a new task, and have it recognised in HB Vault. I'd do a small test: new rsync task with test source data; add new Remote NAS device task and see if you can select the rsync's .hbk. I've relinked vaults to new tasks but not when changing task type.

I thought that HB Vault on the destination was the other half of using HB with 'Synology: Remote NAS device'
More or less what I thought. Here's what the manual says:

"Hyper Backup Vault transforms your Synology NAS into a backup destination for other remote Synology NAS."

I'm making a backup from one Synology to another, the above statement is true. So where's my Vault? "Ah, but" you say, "you're using rsync". Bang to rights, guv. But its Syno to Syno and I'm even choosing "Synology rsync server" in the server type when setting up a new task.

Is there any way for HB Vault to know when and where rsync tasks happen?
Surely that's Hyper Backup's job. The same as when its not rsync and it does use the Vault.

If you do want to use HB Vault
I actually don't know, never had the chance to try it out properly.
to do a test to see if an rsync's .hbk can be relinked to a new task
Yes, it can, I've done this. But... If you mean turn an rsync into a "(Synology) remote NAS device" backup, nope, can't do that.

I stand by my statement that the manual is pants. I see nobody contradicting 😮

But... If you mean turn an rsync into a "(Synology) remote NAS device" backup, nope, can't do that.
That's exactly what I wrote, so ok. And I've just tried it and it says to relink to a rsync task for whatever difference that makes. Selecting the right task category would seem to be important: Synology; Other.

In File Station, on the HB vault folder can you right-click it and open in HB Explorer? That's one thing you can do in HB Vault but directly for each version. HB Vault also provides details on each version of a task. Then it's mostly HB 'server' info.

Well I just tried to setup another HB task using the "Remote NAS device" option. As soon as I have configured it an run it, I got same situation on both the source NAS (Hyper Backup UI; pic1) and the destination NAS (Hyper Backup Vault; pic2).

So not sure whats the problem you are having here @DeltaGolf

PIC1:
Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 18.55.36.png

PIC2:
Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 18.55.27.png

Well in my previous post I did mention that the tasks from the 1st section (Synology) will be registered with Vault. The one from File Server do not.
Yea, but you know this is all very frustrating. Its not just me is it? @Joseb has had problems understanding how things work too. The documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Its just like Synology put a fancy front end on a bunch of Linux stuff and let folk get on with it. If we knew how it was expected to work we could roll our own and save cash on less expensive hardware. Am I being unreasonable expecting - after reading the marketing and paying for the hardware - better documentation. It would save us all time here.

I'm not sure it is really. I can't do what the instructions say I should be able to. Yes, we now know if you use _some_ of the options you see the result in the vault. But what's not solved is how to do that for rsync, for example. Frankly I'm moving on. See if I can find something else to find fault with. 😳

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.