Currently reading
Notification recipient gets deleted

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I thought I had email notifications set up, when I checked it was not working as I had changed my gmail password.
Every time I try to change it when I click on agree in gmail the NAS deletes the recipient address and unchecks the Enable email notification check box. It is getting frustrating now as this should be so simple.

I thought I had email notifications set up, when I checked it was not working as I had changed my gmail password.
Every time I try to change it when I click on agree in gmail the NAS deletes the recipient address and unchecks the Enable email notification check box. It is getting frustrating now as this should be so simple.
maybe try with another browser?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I tried another browser but the same thing. I then used an Outlook email rather than the original gmail one which was OK until I changed the password.
It was a different way of entering the information so I am wondering if I needed to actually delete the gmail address and start again but could not find out how to do it.

Bob

Upvote 0
I got exactly the same issue ...

As it didn't work with gmail, I tried with Outlook but the password seem to be troncated to 8 digits ...
And, then, it doesn't work, too!

It looks like something is missing !!!

I'm with DSM 7.1 - 42661

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am not sure if it is relevant but I am on the same version and device. My password is 10 characters though and it accepted it.

Bob

Upvote 0
I’m using a google app password, since my google account is setup with 2fa. I have been running like this for 4 years and not a single problem.

Can you setup the same way and test? It sounds like your using your regular google/gmail password and not an app password.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem and the Google App password and entering the smtp server (smtp.google.com) worked. Annoying that I have to do this. Something broke in DSM because authentication with Google with the 2FA used to work.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I’m using a google app password
I had the same problem and the Google App password and entering the smtp server (smtp.google.com) worked.
I hope you are using a "disposable" Gmail account. Google does not recommend app passwords (they reduce security).

Hopefully Synology will soon learn how to code for Google authentication, as several packages have recently been reported to fail in this way.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I hope you are using a "disposable" Gmail account. Google does not recommend app passwords (they reduce security).
Yes I have a dedicated. [email protected] account, which only handles notification services. This also keeps your personal account clean where you don’t have all the email clutter in the sent folder/label.
-- post merged: --

Actually just checking my dsm notifications settings, and we are no longer using the app passwords. This was switched over maybe a year ago when they allowed the signing in and Autenthication with google. It will then bring you to google where it asks to allow synology access to send emails.

This is again setup using a secondary and dedicated email address only for notifications.

In short the notifications have been working for us with no issues using gmail as a service provider and not smtp settings. If it’s not working there’s got to be something stuck someplace.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.