NUC Shutdown via SSH partially completes

Currently reading
NUC Shutdown via SSH partially completes

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
I'm running Debian 11 headless on a NUC (administrator access via SSH). I can not power off the NUC via SSH commands.
I have tried:
sudo shutdown
sudo shutdown -h now
sudo poweroff --now
sudo systemctl poweroff
While each of these terminates the connection, and I cannot restart the connection, the NUC power light remains on, and the Ethernet connection light continues to pulsate.

I can only power off the NUC by holding the power button for ~20 seconds, or physically removing its external power. I'm not keen over either practice.

Any ideas? FWIW, sudo reboot works as expected. Thanks.

I have an older NUC here running libreelec for kodi. When I issue sudo shutdown now the system shuts down immediately, blue power light goes off. The nic does continue to pulse, but I went ahead and unplugged the units power supply, ofc nic lights went off, plugged it back in and the nic started pulsing again. No power light until I press the power button.

If it's a newish CPU it could be that the kernel version does not fully support it. I've heard of problems with power states with older kernel versions, specifically on NUCs, and Debian does usually stick to older branches of the kernel.

A suggestion would be to boot a live ubuntu desktop USB which I assume will have a much more recent kernel and try the shutdown command from there...

I know it's not your distro, but fwiw I have 2 NUCS - an 8th gen and an 11th gen running Fedora and they both shutdown correctly with sudo shutdown now. These are both on kernel 6.2.11ish but shutdown has worked correctly on these NUCs since at least the late 4.x kernels.

It's a longshot, but I did hear of TPM modules triggering a bug close to your issue on a Lenovo(?) laptop. Will take a look for a reference...
-- post merged: --

...found it: #939170 - linux: does not suspend completely, locks up - Debian Bug report logs

Is there anything useful posted to journalctl during shutdown that might shed some light??

Is there anything useful posted to journalctl during shutdown that might shed some light??
Nothing jumps out at me. The last thing I see from daemon.log is
Stopping LSB: LVM2 poll daemon...

In addition to your ThinkPad link, I've seen pointers to kernel issues, Nvidia drives (I can rule that out) and a lot of dead ends.

I stop the NUC periodically to image the drive, but now plan to switch to rebooting (to USB Ventoy) going forward, as I'm not comfortable forcing shutdown (and holding the NUC power button for 20 seconds is somewhat of a challenge as its tension is quite high). Thanks!

Last edited:
A suggestion would be to boot a live ubuntu desktop USB which I assume will have a much more recent kernel and try the shutdown command from there...
Great idea. When I tried to power off, I was stuck at a blinking cursor. I let it run 90 seconds, and then pulled the plug. Maybe this is a BIOS thingy, IDK.

Bios definitely a culprit if it's still happening across distros (am assuming the live USB something other than Deb11?).
Try the F7 bios update procedure if your NUC supports it. What gen NUC is it?

Final thought...am wondering if the headless aspect is causing this. Does the problem persist if you connect something to the HDMI port?

Does the problem persist if you connect something to the HDMI port?
When I ran the Ubuntu installer, I was using a display connected to the HDMI port. That's where I say the flashing cursor after shutdown.

I occasionally use the external display as it is necessary when booting from USB (NUC F10) for things like backup imaging (Clonezilla, Macrium Reflect...). I'm tapped out on this one.

Seems I'm not alone

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.