Obviously an ISP Problem, but: What the heck?

Currently reading
Obviously an ISP Problem, but: What the heck?

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
My Ma & Pa ISP was sold! As of 12:01 AM EST MAY 2, The new ISP (Zito Media) took over.... and during their upgrade things went horribly wrong... and everyone lost all services...

When signals came back, provisioning was non-existant. We were getting early DSL Speeds (10-12 dn 1 up), and system, Connection to internet, Modem reboots and modem light sequences, and even IP's changed daily.... Calls and visits to local office were met with shugs of shoulders... they weren't sure how many issues remained or time-frame.... EDIT: My visit triggered a truck roll to verify signal levels at my house.... All Good, No changes made...

During this time I noticed something unusual, and I'd like suggestions as to why.....
Arris TM3402A Modem. Synology RT2600ac Router

During May 2-5 (pre-provisioning times), when modem locked and I could connect (Which wasn't often)... I noticed that both 2 & 5 WIFI connected at a significantly higher speed than anything on etherenet connection! Arris diagnostics at this time reports a gigabit (1000) connection to router..

Power cycling modem or Router made no difference.... Telling RT2600ac to go find service again, ended up with it selecting Automatic again, yet odd speeds remained.... The New DS ROUTER APP has a feature to tell you how good it's connected to ISP... And it says everything is set correctly and working correctly.... Yet ethernet speeds are .1 the speed of WIFI, or less!!!

This morning.... Provisioning appears to be implemented again.... I'm at 96% of my provisioning repeatedly.... Ping lower than first few days, but not as good as prior ISP.... PingPlotter routes to multiple locations confirm this.... BUT -- the Odd Issue where ethernet connected devicees were significantly slower than either WIFI is now Gone!...... Ethernet & WIFI Speed settings now match what I had from prior ISP: Ethernet and 5GHZ wide WIFI Identical Speeds, and 2GHZ slightly less.....

I reset counters in Airris Status page, so I could track Corrected and Un-Corrected errors with current ISP configuration...

My Question.... Obviously it was something new ISP Sent that caused Ethernet connected devices to slow down... as they fixed it....

I'm Nosy: WHY would I see such things?

Last edited:
mid yesterday Noticed new event in Modem, so I reset error counters in modem...
This morning, Ping a bit less and consistent, speed consistent and acceptable, and internet connection point now local instead of mid Florida..
24 hour after reset, Exam of error counters in modem are equal to, or, possibly a bit less than previous ISP gave on same: cable, modem, service, tests, etc, yada-yada!
Obviously things done at their end.... I'm apparently along for the ride! Rocky Ride.... Hope it stays this way! :)!
Neighbors not as happy...

Edit: Email received 4:30 PM from 3 other neighbors, none have technical backgrounds, all are having slow issues and times where nothing seems to work. Each asking others how it’s going there.

Edit 5/8/22 First Happy Mother’s Day to all you out there! Connecting to Florida (Lake Buena Vista) but Ping fell to 27-28, the best that CMC ever gave. I guess that means that if they connect to Mars to get a lower Ping and higher consistent speeds — I should be happy. Correctable and uncorrectable errors remain almost non existent as well. Neighbors not as happy as I.

Edit later AM: have confirmation from people across country that camera access here with DS CAM loads and displays cameras faster, so if they forget to provision upload, I’m good with it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.