Off line backups?

Currently reading
Off line backups?

NAS
2x DS1813+ , DS1019+
For a long while I have been doing off line backups of my files.

My current method, while clunky, is very effective for me.

I have a drive dock with an eSATA connection to my PC running Windows 7.

I have a pair of disks for each backup. Several sets.

I have robocopy scripts I run under command line and periodically do off line backups to the disks. This started back when my file servers were Windows 2000. Now it is with NAS.

Yes, I am paranoid about data loss. I have a DS with hybrid raid that gets backed up (currently with rsync) to another DS with hybrid raid and then to off line disks.

I would like to simplify things.

Could I plug in my eSATA dock to the back of a disk station and do my off line backups directly from DSM?

Currently all the backups (the backup DS and the off line disks) are copies and so do not need any special software to read or unpack containers in order to restore a file.

Suggestions? I am not a sophisticated DSM user.

Thanks
Rob

Can I have Hyper Backup just replicate folders rather than create containers that would require HyperBackup to restore?

Ok, paranoid me here. I once worked for a mainframe software company with a business model of hooking customers on their backup programs and then owning them as the customer was for ever dependent for restores.

s/rob

I have a single disk eSata drive connected to my DS218+. I'm using it to hold my Video Station library. Within DSM this drive is a shared folder called sataShare and cannot be renamed, unlike USB shares.

I have considered getting a multi-disk eSata enclosure but, AFAIK, any non-Synology enclosure must handle disk management (e.g. RAID etc) itself and mostly I've seen JBOD and not RAID 1/5 etc support. Also most feedback has a sizeable base of 'and then it got corrupted'. The only way to know how DSM will see a non-Synology enclosure is to attach it and test what access is available ... can it see all disks / a RAID volume.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.