Offsite backup method

Currently reading
Offsite backup method

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

Just bought a DS720+ which will be my primary working/storage NAS, which I want to backup onto my old NAS, a QNAP TS-253D (which will be offsite).
Can you tell me if it's ok to go with r-sync backup (Hyper backup on Synology + Hybrid backup on QNAP), or should I buy another Synology NAS (DS218) and do remote nas device?

I don't really know how reliable the r-sync backup is.

P.S. I'm still new/noob in the NAS domain.
Thank you

Just realize, rsync is not a backup tool. It will overwrite good with bad, good with ransomware encrypted files...
From what i've read, rsync copy (single-version) copies the files (sort of a mirror, like a RAID1), so it will overwrite the good files with the ransomware encrypted files. The main advantage is that if there is a problem with the main NAS, you can have everything up and running in a couple of minutes if you have SMB set up on the offsite NAS.
On the other hand, rsync creates multi-version backup, which should allow me to select an earlier version of the files to restore in case of files being encrypted and then backed up, right?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the answers to your questions are in the knowledgebase:

The Rsync multiversion is different from the synology hyperbackup/backup vault solution.

If it can be considered as a safe backup, I think it is, as older versions are not overwritten, but the system is not incremental, so I understand you will do a full backup each time you run it, not efficient.

The fact that is no incremental and i would have to backup all the data every time is indeed a big no-no.
Well, guess I'll have to buy another Synology NAS and sell the QNAP.

Given the fact that the secondary NAS will be only for backup, DS218 should be sufficient, right?

I'm unfamiliar with QNAP, however if it has SFTP capability, you may find Duplicacy helpful. It is incremental and uses deduplication. Like HB, the backup files are not in the native file structure.

It is free as a CLI client, and has a web-based interface for a small annual cost. I also use it with cloud services.
The Rsync multiversion is different from the synology hyperbackup/backup vault solution.

If it can be considered as a safe backup, I think it is, as older versions are not overwritten, but the system is not incremental
Such a shame. Synology took the easy way out here. On a Linux install I use "timeshift" which is a versioned, incremental rsync, with retentioning. I've not tried to install it on a Synology NAS, and suspect, it is not readily adapted to DSM.

It just occurred to me that Syncthing may be what you need as it is available to run on your both your units. It is a real-time sync tool, that works with remote connections, and offers versioning.

It just occurred to me that Syncthing may be what you need as it is available to run on your both your units. It is a real-time sync tool, that works with remote connections, and offers versioning.
Thank you for the idea, but I decided to go Synology all the way and ordered a DS218 for the backup NAS. I will sell the old QNAP.

Thanks for all the feedback

I have a 920 and I am set up so everything I write to the 920 automatically gets written to my 418 I use Synology drive sharesync which is part of package Synology drive server, very easy to set up and you can choose which folders to mirror

I have a 920 and I am set up so everything I write to the 920 automatically gets written to my 418 I use Synology drive sharesync which is part of package Synology drive server, very easy to set up and you can choose which folders to mirror
automatically mirrored? Seems it works like RAID. Doesn't that represent a risk in overwriting crypted data over good data (in case of ransomware)? Or does it allow you to backup to a previous version of the file?

automatically mirrored? Seems it works like RAID. Doesn't that represent a risk in overwriting crypted data over good data (in case of ransomware)? Or does it allow you to backup to a previous version of the file?
No idea mate, I have just started using it, as far as I know whatever is on one will be written to the other, I would imagine if you have the antivirus etc installed it would prevent passing nasties to the other drive, there is an antivirus package, not sure how good it is though

I am looking to do the reverse of this, with my Synology DS413 (yeah, it's old) as the secondary, offsite backup and a Debian Linux server as the primary server. Right now, I have them both here right next to each other, and rsync is working within my network, pointing to the IP. But moving my Synology outside of my network is another ball of wax entirely. I'm not sure how to set up the rsync. I have the ability to access my Synology via QuickConnect, but when I've tried to use that QuickConnect address in rsync instead of the IP address, it fails. I was going to put my Synology NAS (or maybe even a Raspberry Pi as a third server) at my parents' house for the offsite backup.

Any ideas?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.