Currently reading
Offsite backup options for 12TB

NAS
RS2416+, DS1815+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm looking for recommendations for a cloud backup of a Synology NAS. I already have two local backups, and it's time to go 3-2-1.

My objectives are:
- compatibility with DSM7
- space for backup 12TB or more
- strong security incl. client-site encryption
- the cost

So far I narrowed it down to Dropbox Advanced and Backblaze BT.
The cost of both is roughly the same at 12TB -- $60/Month. Dropbox gets more competitive when you exceed 12TB, since it's unlimited at a fixed fee.
Both work with Hyperbackup, which also covers client-site encryption.

On paper, Dropbox seems like a more flexible solution, because of the fixed costs and plenty of additional features, which may come handy at some point.
OTOH, there's a lot of excitement around Backblaze, so maybe I don't see some of its advantages.

I looked into other options including C2, but the cost is prohibitive.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Yes, I considered it. The connection speed would be an issue. I would probably need to pay for their Internet upgrade, plus the cost of a NAS with RAID6 (needs at least 4 hard drives). In my rough calculations it wouldn't be less then $3600 over five years.

I'm demoing both Dropbox Advance and Backblaze BT right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.