DSM 7.1 OK to update DSM during data scrubbing?

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 OK to update DSM during data scrubbing?

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a DS920+ and update 42962 Update 4 (from 42962 Update 1) is ready.

My system is also data scrubbing albeit it is paused right now as it is scheduled to run at night.

Is it OK to update DSM while this is going on? Or should I wait until the data scrubbing is finished?

I would opt to be cautious and wait. I think the scrubbing would continue but unless there's some reason to update right now then I would wait.

Recent updates on 06-Feb-2023 had this DSM U4 listed and it's nine days later, and nothing has probably changed for you. Also check the release notes: no vulnerability fixes, just quite specific issues.

Recent updates on 06-Feb-2023 had this DSM U4 listed and it's nine days later, and nothing has probably changed for you. Also check the release notes: no vulnerability fixes, just quite specific issues.

Thanks. Yeah that's what I was leaning towards too. If there were major/vuln fixes then I'd probably risk it, but there aren't so I think waiting it out is probably sensible. Thanks (y)

@ed.j while I agree update 4 probably had nothing that changed for you, you should also check the intermediate updates 2 and 3 to ensure there aren’t any items that don’t apply as well. Update 2 had several fixes for issues and security items, while update 3 had some security fixes.

Not even possible IIRC. But still, why?

Why not? Saves having to remember to go back and do it.

@ed.j while I agree update 4 probably had nothing that changed for you, you should also check the intermediate updates 2 and 3 to ensure there aren’t any items that don’t apply as well. Update 2 had several fixes for issues and security items, while update 3 had some security fixes.

I don't remember receiving notifications about those updates - not great. Will investigate, thanks.

I don't remember receiving notifications about those updates - not great. Will investigate, thanks.

Correct they really weren’t pushed out it seems, but were there to do manual update. Update 2 was released on 10/20/22 and Update 3 was released on 12/8/22. Update 4 was 2/6/23.

You can see the release notes for all versions here

Correct they really weren’t pushed out it seems, but were there to do manual update. Update 2 was released on 10/20/22 and Update 3 was released on 12/8/22. Update 4 was 2/6/23.

You can see the release notes for all versions here

So it looks like Update 2 wasn't pushed to me because DSM deemed it not necessary ("Your DSM is working fine without having to update"), and Update 3 it says "Upgrade to 7.1.1-42962-3 or above.". So I'm presuming that just Update 4 will be fine?

Seems odd - unless Synology are distributing the updates correctly - that they would fail to notify me of updates which contained security fixes pertinent to my system, but they would notify me of an update (4) that doesn't contain any fixes pertinent to my system.

E: Noted in DSM update settings that I have selected the first option, "Automatically install important updates that fixed ciritcla security issues and bugs (recommended)"

"Upgrade to 7.1.1-42962-3 or above.". So I'm presuming that just Update 4 will be fine?

I’ve been running update 4 on 1 of my 3 nas’ and I see no difference. With regard to update 2 I had to upgrade to fix a universal search issue.

Also, unrelated to DSM but relevant to updates, Synology Drive app for windows I had to manually update because it was not auto updating; which they fixed in the most recent update.

but they would notify me of an update (4) that doesn't contain any fixes pertinent to my system.

This maybe simply so that you can grab the previous updates 2 & 3 as well, in which 3 consisted of security fixes.

Thanks guys. Will wait for the scrub to complete then may as well do all of the updates - may not be relevant to the system now but I guess could be if I change something!

You could also wait the update out to see if anyone brings up issues in the forums, or if they pull the update. I manually went to update 3 since I saw security fixes; I usually jump on those right away but again only on my NAS for a few days then the others. Since update 3 has been out for sometime I'd say its safe to go to that if you want, although this would require doing it manually. Update 4 is pushed so you could just click update now and that will include all of updates 2 & 3. Up to you.

Oh really - I was wondering this earlier but assumed that the updates wouldn't contain each of the previous fixes etc otherwise the downloads would just keep getting bigger and bigger...?

Actually now that I’m recalling, I don’t know if the update now will take care of the previous minor updates or you will have to do manual updates to get it to 3 which will then allow update now to 4. I think this is only for major version changes; others here can validate this.

Since these are minor updates and because the previous two weren’t pushed out for some, I’d assume that update 4 is published and would allow the general public to just click update now and it will apply the previous fixes.

Have to admit I’m not too certain but for sure with regard to major version changes I have had to/seen to apply a manual update for a version in between. Either way DSM update will let you know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.