Old DSM background images?

Currently reading
Old DSM background images?

Go here Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/Os/DSM then select the DSM version you want: a full updater file is what you need ... so not an updater that's a few 10's of MB.

Once downloaded you need to change the extension to .zip and then decompress it. Next I had to find the most likely place that held DSM and that was in a file called hda1.tgz (it was the biggest file) which I decompressed.

From here it's a simple folder navigation...
.../hda1/usr/syno/synoman/webman/resources/default_login_background​
.../hda1/usr/syno/synoman/webman/resources/default_wallpaper​

You'll find the images in there. And repeat for different versions of DSM.

@Rusty I would suggest doing this rather than distributing the images via the forum as the images are probably copyright of Synology.

Last edited:
OK. A bit of trial and error, but it worked for DSM 4.3-3827 for the DS1512+ installer. BTW the 'hda1' folder was what my Mac created when decompressing the hda1.tgz archive. I had to google to find the usual location of the wallpapers in the Linux file system.

This folder structure works for DSM 4.3, 5.0, and 5.2. With DSM 6.0 (7321) it changes to...
.../hda1/usr/syno/synoman/webman/resources/images/1x/default/default_login_background​
.../hda1/usr/syno/synoman/webman/resources/images/1x/default/default_wallpaper​

It just needs a bit of digging about.

@Rusty I would suggest doing this rather than distributing the images via the forum as the images are probably copyright of Synology.
Ofc! I didn't mean to publish it on the forum but send it as a pm. Still, didn't get around to doing it, so @oRBIT if you still need it in the next few hours fine, I can dig them up when I get home and get on it if you follow @fredbert advice even better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.