One extra nas as spare?

NAS
DS 918+, DS1019+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

I currently have two 415+ NAS and a 918+, what would your advice be: 1 415 (4x4 TB) especially for customers with the other 415 as a spare? In case the first 415 fails, I can immediately use the second 415.

The 918 could then be used completely for other purposes.

I wonder if it makes sense to keep the reserve 415, I can still get some for it when sold; in addition, the end of support for dsm is slowly coming into view.

What would you do?

First I'd check that the DS415+ have had the Intel Atom C2000 resistor modification.

After that, what do you mean "especially for customers"? If you explain how you use these today then it may be possible to suggest something. But if you are using them for business then I would separate NASes into business role and personal role. Plus using using a different NAS to hold backups of the main NAS will provide separation in the event that malware infects it.

Hi @fredbert , i have customers that have their pc and nas backups stored on one of the 415 nasses, in case of failure of that nas i could keep the second 415 as spare nas.
But i can also sell the second 415 and in case of emergency i can put the disks in the 918 and start the services up again.

CPU fix: both 415 do have the fix, but i've read that also the 918+ cpu can be at risk or not (syno says)

That's what i'm thinking about right now...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.