One folder suddenly disappearing from desktop view

Currently reading
One folder suddenly disappearing from desktop view

NAS
DS412+
Operating system
  1. macOS
We have a DS412+ we use as a file server where we store client files (we're a printing company.)

The NAS is divided by folders for each year and then by letter folders for client files. (A through Z)

This morning, the "M" folder in our 2021 folder suddenly disappeared when attempting to access files from our iMacs. This is affecting all team members.

When I log into the NAS through the control panel via Firefox, the folder and its contents are visible.

If I rename the "M" folder, I still cannot see it on my Mac. If I create a new folder and call it "M2" I can see it. If I copy files from the existing "M" to the new "M2" folder, I can see them.

Here's where it gets weird: If I then rename the new folder to "M" it's not visible.

I am at an absolute loss here.

Permissions are all correct, the folders are not encrypted, so any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Same problem regardless if you are using SMB or AFP protocol?
We are using SMB, but I have no idea how I'd try AFP.

I'm a graphic designer, not an IT guy, so my knowledge here is limited.
-- post merged: --

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Does this happen if connecting through another file service from Finder (cmd k): WebDAV, SMB, AFP?

Have you definitely confirmed that both file system level permissions and ACL are the same for this M folder as they are for L and N, etc.?
I don't know what "ACL" means in this context, but I think I get the gist of what you're asking. As near as I can tell, all permissions, etc are the same. The M folder was accessible yesterday - it has been so since January when it was created.

The odd thing is when I create a NEW folder and rename it "M" it goes from being accessible to invisible.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I’m wrong, there is old known “smbutil” command, that can help to find a reason of the SMB setup problems (NAS or client side).

Q1: what version of SMB is running in the MacOS?
Help (command)
smbutil statshares -a
Copy here status from the “SMB_VERSION”, for the exact (problematic) shared folder

When yes, we can dive deeper.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I’m wrong, there is old known “smbutil” command, that can help to find a reason of the SMB setup problems (NAS or client side).

Q1: what version of SMB is running in the MacOS?
Help (command)

Copy here status from the “SMB_VERSION”, for the exact (problematic) shared folder

When yes, we can dive deeper.
I attempted the command "smbutil statshares -a" in Terminal, but it didn't return anything meaningful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - again, my IT knowledge is limited.
-- post merged: --

Well, If your hardware supports it, I would try an update.
Thanks, We are about 5 versions out of date (despite DSM being set up to download updates regularly) so I will report once I have all of the updates made.

Upvote 0
OK, so I discovered how to solve this. I rhought about how the folder was simply HIDDEN, not completely gone, and that realization was the key to fixing this issue.

Here is what I did (from an old stackexchange forum post):

In Terminal, type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"

Relaunch Finder. After that you see all the hidden files in Finder.

Now type "chflags nohidden" into Terminal and drag & drop file that you want to unhide on the line. Then hit Enter.

I unmounted the drive, remounted it and the M folder is now visible again for everyone on my team, not just me. I thought I'd have to do this at every workstation, but doing at one computer solved for everyone.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's much appreciated. I did also update the DSM, so I am now at the latest version and will be sure to periodically check that as well.

Upvote 0
In Terminal, type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"
Quicker is the key combo of 'shift cmd .' and it toggles hidden items' visibility.

Now type "chflags nohidden" into Terminal and drag & drop file that you want to unhide on the line. Then hit Enter.
One has to wonder how/who applied that flag to the folder, and why. It's not something that is normal and 'just happens'. Hmm!

Upvote 0
Quicker is the key combo of 'shift cmd .' and it toggles hidden items' visibility.

One has to wonder how/who applied that flag to the folder, and why. It's not something that is normal and 'just happens'. Hmm!

Regarding the "Command Shift Period" option, you're right, that will display hidden items. However found that I still had to use that command PLUS the second command to actually make the folders permanently visible. For some reason just doing the second part by itself wasn't enough. (I tried it.)

As far as who would have made that change, it did just happen. It's not a simple/straightforward process to make a folder invisible and no one here has the technical knowhow to execute a change like that.

Upvote 0
Regarding the "Command Shift Period" option, you're right, that will display hidden items.
That was the bit I was commenting about. The 2nd command would still be needed, but Finder doesn't have to be relaunched to get hidden files/folders showing up in Finder.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.