Question One Network PC Now Keeps "Ghost Booting." Is it Synology?

Currently reading
Question One Network PC Now Keeps "Ghost Booting." Is it Synology?

NAS
DS1019+ with 8TB Ironwolves
Operating system
  1. Windows
I have recently added both a Synology DS1019+ and a new PC to my network. I am now experiencing my older computer spontaneously booting up from a totally shut down state. WOL is disabled in this machine's BIOS.
Could Synology be causing this and, if so, how do I stop it from happening?

CLI (fastrack):
Bash:
powercfg -waketimers
You can get information like this
Code:
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (Sys
temEventsBroker) expires at 3:25:17 on 15.6.2020.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular
Maintenance' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Detailed info you can get from your Win Event viewer:
1. Select “Windows log” - from left folder pane
2. Select “System”
3. Find Date and time range of expected computer Woke up (or use filter from right pane or Create Custom view )
then you will see in:
A. Level column - (mostly) Information level
B. Source column - (mostly) Power troubleshooter, sometimes Kernel power (use filter for both sources)
then you can read in General/Details pane information searched = source of the computer wake up

Then system can show you information like this:
Code:
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎11T18:46:07.507252500Z
Wake Time: ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎12T01:57:21.223876400Z

Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular Maintenance' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Then you will find an answer for your question.

btw, when you need to know how many Scheduled task do you have (or your OS/SW/firmware configured itself) opened you can use command from CLI with export to CSV file.
Code:
schtasks /query /v /fo CSV > tasks.csv
the file you will find in folder:
C:\Windows\system32\

now it's the time for a cleaning your OS :cool:

CLI (fastrack):
Bash:
powercfg -waketimers
You can get information like this
Code:
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (Sys
temEventsBroker) expires at 3:25:17 on 15.6.2020.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular
Maintenance' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Detailed info you can get from your Win Event viewer:
1. Select “Windows log” - from left folder pane
2. Select “System”
3. Find Date and time range of expected computer Woke up (or use filter from right pane or Create Custom view )
then you will see in:
A. Level column - (mostly) Information level
B. Source column - (mostly) Power troubleshooter, sometimes Kernel power (use filter for both sources)
then you can read in General/Details pane information searched = source of the computer wake up

Then system can show you information like this:
Code:
The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎11T18:46:07.507252500Z
Wake Time: ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎12T01:57:21.223876400Z

Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular Maintenance' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Then you will find an answer for your question.

Many thanks, Jeyare, but I am in over my head. I got so far as the attached Event Viewer screen shot but am not competent to interpret what it is telling me. In the interim, I have set Wake on Pattern Match for the network to disabled in Device Manager. Hoping that works. Time will tell.
Apparently, whatever I am experiencing is unrelated to the recently installed Synology 1019+?
EventViewer1.JPG

reason of your Wake up needs to be evaluate in the computer site first.

you need send here a screenshot from the CLI result = powercfg command
then again (strictly as was requested by me)
Find/Filter
then
Source column - (mostly) Power troubleshooter .... as was recommended
then make a screenshot

Still stumbling about here . . .
Seems the system is waking from a shutdown state (not "sleeping" or "hibernating) to do Windows updates? I have never had this happen before?
Hope the following screenshots are what you requested . . .

waketimers.JPG
General Tab.JPG
Details Tab.JPG

Last edited:
Thx for the screenshot from Event viewer (just one details from 3 records found and requested by me).
Help - as you can see in the Details pane, there is clickable submenu “+System” ... hidden in the screenshot and “+EventData” chosen by you only in the screenshot.

From the “powercfg” command screenshot:
You have scheduled two wake ups
1. Defined by regular Windows Backup task - this is OS native task. You can switch off this task.

2. Defined by regular system part task - Start menu experience host - this is OS native task. You can switch off this task.

For the undefined wake, you can use this command (in time of wake up):
Code:
powercfg -lastwake
it will show you the event source e.g. if the wake up was initialized by your NIC or by your hidden SW components.

Last:
- it’s possible that you have WOL events defined by your OS/SW components only
- then you need clean this “mess” by Task scheduler
- there is only possible way for WOL event from the NAS side requested - Syno Active backup scheduled task.

when you can lay with the "cleaning" you can also use in Power Shell:
Bash:
Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun}

When you are not experienced with the action - how to clean unwanted Win Task cleaning, you can use this guide

Thank you both, jeyare and Telos. I think I am on the right track now. I have disabled wake timers and the machine has remained silent since I did so. If it does not "take" and the next update just re-enables them, I will have to go further and follow the guide jeyare has linked to.
Again, thank-you both.
-Terry-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.