One or multiple storage pools?

Currently reading
One or multiple storage pools?

I have DS923+ with 2x22TB and 2x6TB drives.
Now I'm thinking how to mount them all in NAS...
This is my first NAS so I'm a bit confused.
The easiest option is to create one Storage Pool with 4 drives. The thing is, I'm going to use most of the storage for TV/Movies/etc and I don't really want to waste so much space (around 18 TB) for data redundancy when I can just redownload everything on RAID failure.
Another option is to create one JBOD/RAID0 pool for media (2x22TB) and SHR/RAID1 pool for important data (2x6TB).
Which is the best option? Any ideas? Downsides? What's your setup?

Last edited:
Right, that's what I meant - SHR1 or RAID5. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Similar threads

• Question
If you don't have a UPS I would highly recommend getting one. Unexpected crashes aren't good for any...
Replies
Views
I have belt, suspenders, glue and tape! 10TB WD Red primary storage on my PC; 2x10TB WD Red RAID backup...
Replies
Views
Hi have you found a way to do this? I’m also looking for a solution to add multiple devices for HOME mode...
Replies
Views
You did everything correctly considering the size of the drives. As you said you had no option to add...
Replies
Views
There are tools in the synology app store that you can setup to backup to an AWS S3. Back it up to there...
Replies
Views
Let’s keep it on topic and avoid personal comments. I have a number of ways to find duplicates but using...
Replies
Views
@fredbert, that checks out. Thank you so much! 1688832152 I'm using RAID 10 with 4 drives for 4x Read/2x...
Replies
Views

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back