Online library live on synology

Currently reading
Online library live on synology

First thing that comes to mind is Calibre and Calibre's Content server. Probably a docker container already exists.

I suppose it all depends what your requirements are for managing the library, controlling how and who can access it, and how slick you want the interface. Also, how are the PDF files to be viewed?

Shared links to File Station or Drive folders could be said to provide a library. But a specific book library package ... nothing leaps out.

The most basic web thing would be to load the PDF files to a folder in /web and write a static HTML file that has links to each file. One step up from this would be to write a dynamic script that when called will generate the HTML with links to whatever .pdf files it finds in the folder.

Calibre - Web is just a lightweight html5 browser for the calibre thats running under it. The point is that Calibre has many desktop clients that can connect to calibre server (the 1st link I have posted), but running it in web is torture, considering its running with Guacamole in the back its super slow.

So if you want a full Plex/dark mode web experience then you will need both, calibre and calibre-web on top of it.

Calibre - Web is just a lightweight html5 browser for the calibre thats running under it. The point is that Calibre has many desktop clients that can connect to calibre server (the 1st link I have posted), but running it in web is torture, considering its running with Guacamole in the back its super slow.

So if you want a full Plex/dark mode web experience then you will need both, calibre and calibre-web on top of it.
so it's better to use an existing server than to setup calibre and calibre web on my Synology ?

That's not what I said. I just said that if you decide to go with Calibre you need to understand that Calibre (server) is and what Calibre - Web is. Those are 2 separate containers. Web is depended on server container. Server one is where you manage your books etc, but most of the tasks can be done via Calibre web as well.

If you want to host a private ebook lib then having them hosted on your nas is a way to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.