NAS
DS209j | DS210j | DS410 | DS214 | DS216+II | DS916+ | DS920+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
OpenProject is a web-based project management system for location-independent team collaboration.
I mainly use it to generate Gantt charts buts it's way more powerful.

I have a running container - but actually want to move it to another DS, but I can't get it running on the new machine.

If someone could post a tutorial how to get it running this would be awesome. (And also would fit perfect in the Resources collection)

Actually I think it's not that hard, but I'm running into an issue I can't solve:
Note: We’ve had reports of people being unable to start OpenProject this way because of an issue regarding pseudo-TTY allocations and permissions to write to /dev/stdout. If you run into this, a workaround seems to be to add -t to your run command, even if you run in detached mode.

Source: Install OpenProject with Docker | OpenProject Help & Documentation

my error log:

-----> Starting the all-in-one OpenProject setup at /app/docker/prod/supervisord... -----> Database cluster already exists, not modifying. [B]pg_ctl: could not start server[/B] Examine the log output. waiting for server to start.... stopped waiting

Thanks a lot!
paradeiser

Solution
And no. I used different images as I also wanted to do a minor update. But still, I can't even get a new container from scratch running (using the latest build).
Wait a minute. So have you moved the 2 volume destinations?

Code:
/var/openproject/pgdata
/var/openproject/assets

If so, are the permissions for these volumes on your destination nas the same?

I just tried to move this data by using the "all-in-one" setup (but with the same image!) and it works fine. Also running another one with an outside Postgres and connecting another container on a separate NAS to that DB also works just fine.

So just make sure that the permissions on the destination NAS where the volume bind data is, are correct and the same as they were on...
If someone could post a tutorial how to get it running this would be awesome. (And also would fit perfect in the Resources collection)
Looking at the app itself it doesn't look complicated at all. My recommendation would be to use the same process as described in this article:

The principal idea is the same. I think you will be able to transfer the setup with ease. Also make sure that the destination side has the same version of docker image up and ready as @fredbert said.

Upvote 0
The container's startup command: does it include that parameter?
No. There ends my Docker knowledge…

How would I achieve this?
(I just saw the option on initial startup/setup in advanced options execution command: "./docker/prod/supervisord" but didn't know how to handle. Or if it's also possible to set the parameter after the container was created.)

Upvote 0
It would help to show how your OP has been set up initially. Guessing you have it running without an external Postgres DB connection?

I just started it that way and migrate it to a secondary host using the same "database" folder, and it works just fine.

So try and share how you have this configured and let's take it from there.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Looking at the app itself it doesn't look complicated at all. My recommendation would be to use the same process as described in this article:

The principal idea is the same. I think you will be able to transfer the setup with ease. Also make sure that the destination side has the same version of docker image up and ready as @fredbert said.
Thanks for the great article! I already did several BW switches between different DS. (Tho I didnt use snapshot replication; I just restored the C2 backup data folder.

And no. I used different images as I also wanted to do a minor update. But still, I can't even get a new container from scratch running (using the latest build).
-- post merged: --

It would help to show how your OP has been set up initially. Guessing you have it running without an external Postgres DB connection?

I just started it that way and migrate it to a secondary host using the same "database" folder, and it works just fine.

So try and share how you have this configured and let's take it from there.
Out of the box it's using its own DB:
postgres://openproject:eek:[email protected]/openproject
"all-in-one OpenProject setup"

Settings: Just volumes, ports and SECRET_KEY_BASE; and reverse proxy, certs, DNS of course.

I assume it's the described problem about the user privilege but I don't know how to add the parameter -t to the run command.

Upvote 0
Wait a minute. So have you moved the 2 volume destinations?

Code:
/var/openproject/pgdata
/var/openproject/assets

If so, are the permissions for these volumes on your destination nas the same?

I just tried to move this data by using the "all-in-one" setup (but with the same image!) and it works fine. Also running another one with an outside Postgres and connecting another container on a separate NAS to that DB also works just fine.

So just make sure that the permissions on the destination NAS where the volume bind data is, are correct and the same as they were on the source NAS.

Upvote 1
Solution
Just a short follow-up about the Snapshot vs HyperBackup:
My hourly MailServer (source ~100GB) C2-HyperBackup takes ~10-15min
Remote Snapshot Replication takes ~1-2min
:oops:

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot, that was it: permissions of mapped folders.

Maybe I should go for DataReplication instead of moving zip containers ;)

Now its moved and upgraded.

Thanks again!
paradeiser

Hello paradeiser,

it seems that i have the same permissions / owner issues when moving openproject and its mounted folders between two NAS.

Could you please explain how you managed to transfer your two folders from NAS1 to NAS2 using Data Replication?
I'm very inexperienced in using this kinda method for data transfers.

Please note that the two NAS are not in the same network / not physically connected to each other.

Thank you very much in advance for any hints.
boardnick0815

Upvote 0
sorry, can't help much as I didn't use data Replication doing this.
I just changed folder permissions in DS File Station using right click > properties > permissions.
but I can't recall the exact steps.

Upvote 0
Hmm, that's really strange, because i also played around with permissions but without any success.
Thank you anyway for your respond!

If someone else has any further tips / advices: They are welcome :)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.