OpenVPN Connect not connecting anymore

Currently reading
OpenVPN Connect not connecting anymore

This is also valid for connections over smb right?
SMB over Internet is a HUUUUUUGE NO! Hope that is not even the case here but opening 445 over the internet is just asking for a world of pain.

On the other hand, yes, you can control any port/protocol via FW depending on its features/options and your needs.

SMB over Internet is a HUUUUUUGE NO! Hope that is not even the case here but opening 445 over the internet is just asking for a world of pain.

On the other hand, yes, you can control any port/protocol via FW depending on its features/options and your needs.
No of course not! You mean port forwarding the 445 over the router is a NO GO, right? In my router I only have open the port for the VPN.

What I mean, when using Open VPN when im am not in the office, I connect to the Syno using Command-K on the Mac and then I give the smb://192.168.X.X

Is this the right way to connect I guess ...

Last edited:
80/443 are used on the NAS by nginx under the hood for various reasons. A reverse proxy is one of those. Still why you have that open on your router will depend on your needs. Did you open that for a reason?
I had that open since initial setup, to be honest.

We have 5 Mac's connected to the same Syno and we use SMB to access the Syno via Finder. We mostly works with documents and Photo editing

Plus, we use OpenVPN to connect from remote. So I have port 443 and the one used by VPN forwarded.

You think we need the 443 forwarded for our needs mentioned above or better delete that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.